This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

There have been some good and a lot of bad sequels throughout the past 10 years. It’s time for the movie industry to step their game up and create some new content we haven’t seen before. Sequels are just easy ways for the film industry to make a quick buck because they know they will easily make their money back. There need to be more movies with a variety of different genres, such as folklores from different nations like Native American and African that we have never seen before. These are some of the sequels that need to take a break from the big screen:

The Fast and The Furious

Photo Credit

The Fast and The Furious franchise is very popular and loved around the world, it has grossed over $4 billion at the box office. There are 7 sequels in The Fast The Furious franchise. The passing away of the beloved Paul Walker, the face of The Fast and The Furious, was seen as the end of the Franchise to many fans. The franchise plans to create a spinoff of the films in 2020 and 2021. The original cast is slowly but surely planning on not returning, with major celebrities like Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson rumored to not return to the franchise. So, what’s the point of making more sequels?!? Money, is the answer.  The Furious 7 was the highest grossed film, with about $353 million box office. The film industry sadly loves to milk franchises until they’re unable to make money off their films.

Transformers

Photo Credit

The first Transformer movie premiered in 2007, It was a hit in the box office with over $319 million alone. The reason why this franchise doesn’t need to return to the screen any time soon is because some of the original cast members are no longer a part of the films. Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox, the original cast of transformers, haven’t been in the last two films. Many people had become attached and connected with these two dynamic characters, but the Transformers’ franchise continues to create films without them by casting actors such as Mark Wahlberg. Transformers: The Last Knight, with Mark Wahlberg as the protagonist, didn’t recieve high ratings. Rotten Tomatoes gave this film a 15% approval rating and IMDb with a 5.2/10 rating. Also according to Rotten Tomatoes, the latest spinoff of transformers, Bumblebee, grossed about $120 million in the box office which leaves this film as the lowest grossed Transformers franchise film. Unfortunately, it’s time for Transformers to also take a break!

Work Cited:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=fastandthefurious.htm

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/transformers/

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=transformers.htm

Hello there! I'm Dria and I'm a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. In my spare time, I enjoy hanging out with friends and family, taking photos, doing anything nerdy and visiting museums. Follow me on Instagram @_mitochon_dria_ and Twitter @DriaThomas.