FIU Roarthon Pageant 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Roarthon is an FIU created, 17-hour student run Dance Marathon event that raises awareness and funds for the Children’s Miracle Network at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital, formerly known as Miami Children’s Hospital. The Children’s Miracle Network is a non-profit organization that participates in more than 170 children’s hospitals throughout North America. Florida International University has stepped in to host it’s annual 17-hour Dance Marathon, solely organized by students and faculty in attempts to raise money to this cause. In addition to the marathon, there is also a pageant where contestants run to hold the title of Mr. and Ms. Roarthon. This year’s theme will be Dr. Seuss. Throughout the pageant there are series of events held to raise money and to determine the best fit individual to represent Roarthon at FIU.

The pageant will kick off this week Thursday, January 25th with a “meet the contestants“ day. At the contestant fair, contestants will arrange a booth at FIU’s Betty Chapman Plaza from 11am – 2pm providing games and snacks as well as information on the caus, and all proceeds made will go directly to the Children’s Miracle Network.

Next is the “Chipotle Fundraiser” taking place Monday January 29th, from 4-8pm. Students attending the fundraiser can purchase a meal at Chipotle at the Flagler location and state they’re supporting the Roarthon fundraider, state the name of the Roarthon pageant contestant they’d like their points to go to, and a portion of their receipt will also go directly to the Children’s Miracle Network at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital.

Pageant day will be help on Tuesday, January 30th at 6pm, where the winner of Mr. and Ms. Roarthon will be announced. The pageant is free of charge and will consist of a series of questions, skits and donation opportunities.

It is important for students to attend not only the official Roarthon event in April, but the pageant as well because it is a great opportunity to support a good cause and raise awareness. It is also one of Florida International University’s very well known student affairs in which has had tremendous turnouts. As of 2017, the FIU community has raised over 1 million dollars and continues to give back in every way possible. This year’s marathon will take place April 14- 15 at the MMC Wellness and Recreation center. You can contact any Roarthon delegate to sign up as a dancer or go out and support!

Cover Photo Source

I am a student at Florida International University who is passionate about the power of expression and empowering women. I am a proud member of Alpha Xi Delta majoring in Marketing and International relations and hope to write to inform, inspire, or even to entertain through my works.