FIU Remembers the Victims of Douglas Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018, one of the biggest mass shootings occurred in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School where at least 17 people died and 14 were wounded.

Since then, there have been multiple commemorations, vigils, speeches and rallies to honor the victims of this tragic event.

People all over South Florida have heard of what happened last week and have decided to voice their opinions on what happened. Talks over gun control, safety of our children and the senseless act that occurred have taken over every social media and news platform.

The victims of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High have been honored in multiple ways: candlelight vigils held across Florida, dancers wearing orange ribbons in remembrance of 14-year-old dancer Jaime Guttenberg and the Marlins wearing Marjory Stoneman Douglas High baseball caps before their Grapefruit League on Friday.

If you’re part of the FIU community, you are likely to have received an email from President Mark Rosenberg on February 20, 2018.

President Rosenberg invites us to come together as a community in order to grieve as one and remember the victims of the shooting.

The event is happening on Wednesday, February 21 at noon in GC 355 at the Modesto Maidique Campus.

There is a link provided in the email to RSVP if you wish to attend here.

You can also watch if you can’t physically attend by visiting here.

Cover Photo

Desi