This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The Day of Silence is a national day held to protest bullying, harassment and negative stereotypes of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students and those who support them. The day is composed of students and professors whom take a vow of silence lasting up to a full day to represent how LGBT students and their allies feel when they are bullied or harassed.

One student who identifies as lesbian and is the current President of Stonewell Pride Alliance, Stella Russotti, participated in the Day of Silence. She had been participating in the event for years but relays this has been the best year yet. “It’s really hard for me because I’m very talkative. I think this year was the best yet because it’s the most silent I’ve ever been. It was really difficult to communicate with my friends but I knew it was all for a good cause.” Russotti tells. As everyone chooses to partake in the Day of Silence their own way, Stella decided to undergo a full twenty-four hours of silence. “I felt very satisfied and liberated by the end result,” she says. At the end, the Day of Silence not only makes an impact on those who decide to participate on the event, but also those who try to communicate with the advocate. What better way to spread awareness and be Worlds Ahead?