Exposing Sexuality, Women Empowerment, and Black Freedom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you follow any type of film at all, you most definitely have heard of Spike Lee. If you haven’t… well that’s a story for another time. For now we’ll just focus on his current project, ‘She’s Gotta Have It’ and yes everyone it’s on Netflix. 

I don’t think I have ever watched a show that shows the rawness that is now society. Usually directors and film makers have to watch what they show on screen for ethical and legal conflicts, but Lee wanted the full exposure. He wanted to emphasize the events still happening today that everyone is either too sensitive or too afraid to speak of. Lee threw in comedy, sexuality, power, conspiracy, and feminism all in one. You’d think to yourself, why is a man trying to touch upon issues felt by women? Spike Lee’s original ‘She’s Gotta Have It’ was a movie aired in 1986 and decided to recreate this into a show now? Why now? Before I begin to answer that here is what you need to know.

The show consists of the main character, Nola Darling, finding herself as an artist and a free spirited woman who will not let any man tame her. Juggling three very different lovers, she uses all of them to fulfill her every need. There is Jamie Overstreet, the wise intelligent straight-business kind of man. MARS, the old school hip-hop loving Puerto Rican. And finally, the entitled pretty boy, Greer Childs who thinks he’s the best thing that’s ever happened to Nola. Um, hello, do you forget she needs no man? Sorry, I know this is just a show but men actually think this way and it’s sickening. Pro-Tip for you guys: if you watch this show, don’t be a ‘Greer Childs’ because odds are shes better off alone! These three men together make the one perfect person for Nola and for that she will not let them go. 

I believe Spike Lee wanted to portray Nola in a light where females, no matter the race, can feel confident in their own skin. Taking your own freedom to do what you wish with out the fear of being called-

The “My Name Isn’t” Campaign

Hands down most powerful episode, yet it was only the first one. After a night with her girl Clorinda, Nola was walking home late in the streets of Brooklyn. Some random guy begins starts shouting, “yo ma” and there it was, the attack. That man didn’t know it then, but he imprinted on her in a way she couldn’t shake off. Nola Darling, the powerful young black woman felt..weak. She went through a mental and emotional block that was hindering her art enhancing the stigma of labels and attacking the character of a woman.  

She went around Brooklyn with her street art with black and white photographs of women of all ages and sizes, and in red bold letters, ‘My Name Isn’t’. Every poster had a different phrase after the my name isn’t making one of the most powerful statements to end the labels men imprint on women. Finally, the voice is female.

I admire Lee for remaking this at a time to reclaim what it means to be female by females. 

I am excited for you to invite Nola Darling and let the influence of her character inspire a sense of freedom in our community. I am excited for the things you will take out of her wondrous life. In the meantime, I am going to watch the 1986 version of ‘She’s Gotta Have it’. 

Peace, two fingers

#BlackLivesMatter

N