Don’t Judge A Person By Their Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The holidays are here and most of us are quickly preparing for the most dreaded and popular question, “y el novio?” Worse than that, follows “y la escuela?” 

Now once you’ve explained (and maybe exaggerated) how your grades are nothing but A’s, comes the interrogations about your career path, filled with a hint of doubtfulness and skepticism. 

It’s the topic of the dinner table, the first question asked on a date and a repeated conversation topic of sorority recruitment: “what’s your major?” Better yet, you know they’re usually really thinking… why is that your major? 

It’s expected for your family to question you about your choices; after all, it comes from a place of “love,” or so my mom tells me! But once we, as college students, start to judge each other for our choice of major, Houston we got a problem. 

In reality, we all struggle: balancing difficult classes, working full or part time jobs and if you’re lucky… having a social life. You should never determine one’s struggle to be easier than yours. Some majors may require more tests and assessments but some may make up for that in essays and presentations. 

Explaining your major should be filled with excitement and pride, ready to go on about why you chose it and what it means to you. But sometimes, it can be a dreadful question as you’re prepared to feel disheartened by those who feel their major is superior. 

Instead, let’s commend each other for finding our passion and sticking with it. Let’s be grateful that our choices will make us the future teachers, doctors, engineers and so much more of the world. 

You know they say to never judge a book by its cover, I say never judge a person by their major. 

Now, who’s ready to sing “We’re All In This Together” by HSM?