Domestic Violence Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

What if I told you that one in four women have been victims of severe physical violence? How do you feel knowing that one in seven women have been stalked to the point of endangerment? These are just some of the many statistics that exist about domestic violence. Domestic violence is aggressive behavior within the household which typically involves violent abuse of a spouse/partner/loved one. It is said that women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.

There are numerous ways to tell if you are in an abusive relationship. Courtesy of www.thehelpguide.org some of those ways include the following:

• Do you feel afraid of them most of the time?
  • Do you wonder if you’re the one who’s crazy?
  • Does your partner humiliate, yell or criticize you?
  • Does your partner blame you for their anger?
  • Does your partner threaten you?
  • Does your partner act possessive over you?

These are only a few questions you can ask yourself to identify whether or not you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence. If you feel like you are in an abusive relationship, talk to someone about it. Whether it is a friend, family member or a help line. Make sure you come forward and take control before the relationship escalates to something worse.

Many women who are in this situation feel helpless and are usually too afraid to speak up in fear that it will cause their partner to do something erratic. The first step is coming forward with it. It might seem impossible, but there are so many people out there waiting to help. For more information regarding domestic violence and tips on how to recognize signs or help visit www.helpguide.org or www.ncadv.org.

If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship call the Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE). 

Cover Photo: pinterest.com

Communications major with a love for Disney, coffee, and dogs of all shapes and sizes!