This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Let’s face it. When us girls go on a trip, we like to plan ahead. That’s not to say that we don’t enjoy spontaneity, but intentionality goes a long way. I’ve realized that it’s so important to do something at least once a month that fuels your soul and a girls trips is seriously one of the most refreshing and exciting ways to do so. There’s just something about a trip with your besties that makes you want to dance around until 4 in the morning with some glasses of wine and roll down the windows and blast some music when you’re on the road. But there is a way to make the most out of your adventure while making sure you explore the prettiest sights and capture the best photos. Let’s get into it.

1. Find out what your girlfriends want out of trip.

Vacations are supposed to be fun and memorable, but you want to make sure that the people that are going are getting the most out of the trip too. Some people enjoy sightseeing, museums and the city downtown while others enjoy hopping around to different brunch spots and dancing at bars. Whether you’re the foodie, the shopaholic, or the artsy one out of the group it is super important to make a list of potential places to visit depending on the amount of days you are all staying. A successful girls trip is one that is directed to the needs of your friends. If you all have been super busy lately and you need a break from reality, consider a tropical getaway where you can indulge in spa days, lounge out by the pool, and enjoy great food. If you all want an unplugged vacation where you can be one with nature perhaps you all can consider a cabin in the mountains. There is something for everyone.

2. Set a budget per person.

Let’s be real. We are all trying to ball on a budget. Especially when traveling. Be mindful of everyone’s financial situation and make sure that nobody is being left out because they can’t afford it. Ask your girlfriends how much they are willing to spend and plan accordingly. Instead of staying at fancy hotels, consider staying at an Airbnb or staying in cities where one of you has family or friends that live there. Both options are not only affordable but can give you a more homey feeling when visiting a new place. It’s better to use the money you would’ve spent at a hotel to do activities you all will enjoy. Another way to make sure you are being intentional with what you spend is to share food. When going out to expensive restaurants, my friends and I have ordered a few plates of food and shared them all. Not only will the portion sizes be perfect but it will definitely save you money. Remember that when traveling with your girlfriends you are experiencing things together and you want to make the most out of that bonding experience.

3. 4-5 days is ideal.

You want to make sure that your girlfriends can commit. Everyone is living their busy lives with work, school, or their families and you want to make sure it works out for everyone. I usually make an itinerary on a Google doc and list potential activities for each day and to make the most out of a trip, 4-5 days is a good amount of time to space everything out accordingly. Any shorter is just too short, especially if your trip is somewhere out of the country.

4. Make a group packing list.

Make the girls trip collaborative. The trip does not need to be by the book, but it is important to hold each other accountable. Making a packing list is super important because it will make the trip more organized and you can make the most of what you pack. You can make sure that you pack comfortable shoes but also make sure that you can wear them with multiple outfits. When it comes to clothing, you can also make sure that you pack bottoms that you can wear at least twice on the trip while mix and matching tops. Make sure to spread out heavy items in between all of your friends’ luggage and don’t forget to pack beauty and hygienic items you can all share such as shampoo, flat irons, and facewash. Trust me, there is no need to pack your whole hair and skin routine in your bag. Pack smart and make sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to coordinating outfits.

5. Be flexible with timing.

If you’re on vacation, there is no need to rush under the clock. Unwind and relax. Whether it rains or if the place you wanted to go to only takes reservations, accept if things do no go according to the plan. Make up for it by having backup plans for the day mind. After all, spontaneity is what makes the best memories.

The flow is especially important when planning a girls trip. Be mindful that everyone has different personalities and energy levels. Make your getaway is fun and free from distractions by being present in the moment.

Happy planning, girlfriend.

24 Miami, FL Majoring in Psychology at Florida International University Lover of all things coffee, books, skincare, and adventure