This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

At FIU, when a Panther is in need we all come together to help out. Such is the case with fellow student Cristina Gomez. For those of you that may not know Cristina, 22, is a senior at FIU. A sister of Alpha Xi Delta and a Peer Advisor, Cristina is very involved on and off campus. She was a site leader for “FIU Alternative Breaks” and also volunteers her time at homeless shelters, churches, the His Angels organization, and other charities as well. Cristina lives her life following the word of God and is a spiritual individual. In the future she wants to be a teacher. According to Cristina, “teaching is the profession that teaches all other professions”.

An avid runner, on May 12, 2014 Cristina suffered an accident while on a jog. This resulted in severe head trauma leading her into a coma for nearly two months. By the end of June 2014, she was airlifted out of Miami to Shepherd Center – a specialized Traumatic Brain Injury & Spinal Cord Rehab Facility. After numerous surgeries Cristina got out of her coma and is now in a “Minimally Conscious State”. As we wait for her recovery, friends and family will be hosting a prayer gathering in the Betty Chapman Plaza at FIU to send positive vibes as she continues to heal. The event will take place on Wednesday, November 12, 2014 which marks the 6 month period since her accident.

What: Prayer gathering for Cristina Gomez

When: November 12, 2014

Time: 8 PM

Where: Betty Chapman Plaza at Florida International University

Students will also be tabling on this same day from 10 AM-5 PM in GC selling bracelets, baked goods, and luminaria bags as well as taking donations to help Cristina’s family with medical bills. The dedication and support that has poured out from Cristina’s peers is a true testament of the kind of person she is. One person whose life she has greatly impacted is her little sister, Marilyn Figueroa who says, “Cristy is absolutely phenomenal; she’s my big sister in my sorority and has become one of my closest friends and mentors. She’s impacted not only those at FIU, but also every person that she has touched throughout her life. Whether it was volunteering with non-profit organizations or teaching elementary school children, Cristina is truly someone to look up to and since her accident six months ago life has truly not been the same. Cristina is filled with tremendous wisdom and unwavering strength.”

On Wednesday’s event, “The whole purpose behind the prayer gathering that we are organizing on Wednesday is to send Cristina positive vibes of health and healing. Beyond that, I know personally how much assistance her family needs, particularly financially due to the medical expenses that have accumulated. It is our hope to aid her family in any way that we can. Faith can move mountains. When community comes together in solidarity to support an amazing individual and her family in their time of need, the impact that we can make can be life changing”. From all of us here at Her Campus FIU, we are praying for Cristina’s speedy recovery.

For more information, pictures, to donate, or to leave Cristina a message please visit cristinastrong.com.

Natalie is currently a Sophomore at FIU studying Journalism with a Minor in Marketing. As a young girl she always knew she wanted to be a writer and she continues to pursue those dreams at FIU. On her spare time she is very involved on campus in several organizations as well as an internship with FIU's Athletics Department. Her professional goals are to become a staff writer or anchor woman and her life goals are to make a difference in people's lives.