Wellness

Countering Procrastination: Quarantine Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Things have taken a dramatic spin and starting to look like total chaos outside. With universities closing and more and more people spending their daily routines at home, it’s getting tough to be more productive. Feeling unmotivated or anxious to start on your tasks? Here are some quick tips on reducing procrastinating so you can get your work done.

1. Go Easy on Yourself

It isn’t easy to do any work from home, and there are a lot more distractions at home then you would’ve thought. Whether you are surrounded by parents, kids, or even just being by yourself makes your mind wander, remember it is completely normal and you aren’t alone. That being said, it’s also important to snap back into working as the world doesn’t stop spinning.

2. Get Out of Bed

This is so much harder. With classes and work right on the computer, it seems so easy to just roll over and open your laptop to attend classes and do your work. It’s quite comfy and cozy: which is exactly why you aren’t getting any work done. You tend to focus less while working in bed. Try to find other places, whether a desk or a dining table. Leave your bed for the best part of the day: to sleep!

3. Make a Schedule

If this is what you need to keep you on track, then this is what you have to do. As much as it’s far more easier to binge on the multitude of streaming platforms instead of getting to that assignment, you have to get going on it before its too late. So, set up a schedule: set a time to begin working, take a break for thirty minutes, then get back to work. Remember, you are just trying to mimic what you already had going on when classes were on campus. Follow that schedule (with enough breaks, we don’t want to burn out) to keep yourself on track.

4. Set the Mood

It’s tough with the current situations to go find a quiet coffee shop to do your work in, but you can create the same ambiance at home. Find what works for you! Clear some space wherever you decide to work, organize it so you don’t have to get up for things a million times. Maybe put some light and low music in the back, light a candle, anything that helps.

5. Rewards!

Congratulations, you made it through your task. Now go reward yourself. Tying back to my first point, it’s important to take it easy on yourself. You did it, you made it through not breaking concentration, not getting distracted, and finishing your work. Take a break before you head back to it. Have a cup of coffee, read a little, take a nap, do a mini-workout. Now you have the reward of finishing your work plus another bonus!

Hi there! Canadian born Sri Lankan Tamil, living and thriving in Miami! Pursuing a bachelor's in Biology and a minor in Political Science. On the road of growing, learning, and being all-around happy. Oh yea, and I write sometimes. Never know when a midnight thought is going to strike.