College Survival: The Guide to Cheap Textbooks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

There is nothing like the first day of school, trying to beat traffic and sweating as you get from class to class. All this is too familiar if you’re an FIU student, and it all gets even more familiar is when you are hit with the much dreaded required books list. The reason we all manage to cringe at the thought of having to purchase said books is because of the outrageous prices that come along with them. As college students, it’s not easy to acquire or save money, so having to spend it is heartbreaking. Which is why I have come up with a list that’ll help you keep that money in your pocket.

1.  Before purchasing anything, verify if you really need the book in the first place. Sometimes professors assign books that aren’t really required to do well in the course. Before you know it, it’s the middle of the semester and you haven’t opened that book once.

2. Ask around. Think about it, you are definitely not the first student to have signed up for that class. There is bound to be someone around campus who has previously taken the course and has a used copy of the assigned text. Start by asking close friends, ask them if they could ask their friends, etc. I’ve managed to save a few hundred bucks doing so.

3. If you don’t have any luck with word of mouth then this is where you thrift, thrift, thrift.

Search through Facebook Groups like:

Used Books at FIU

Text Books For Sale – FIU

PantherBookz

You can also search through Facebook’s newest Marketplace tool. And you can ensure you get the best deals by using price comparison sites like:  

Bookfinder.com

Slugbooks.com

4. You also have the option of renting your book on sites like Amazon. Usually they offer reasonable prices and they are pretty flexible on giving you time to return them by the end of the semester.  Keep in mind that if you do decide on renting, refrain from leaving any marks or tears on the book as they will charge you with the full buyout price as a damage fee.

5. Finally, consider investing in used books. Of course, do not spend money on a book that is missing a few pages but some light usage isn’t a deal breaker. You could save some yourself a couple bucks thanks to some highlighting and underlining.

Whatever it is thatyou choose to do, I am sure your wallet will kindly appreciate it.

TTYL,

M.M.