This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As a self-proclaimed romance novel aficionado, I have gotten very used to novels that follow very similar plots and settings. And while I definitely still love these novels and will absolutely continue to read them (I’ll save that discussion for another article), it often feels like there is a clear divide between romances that take place in high school and romances that are categorized as adult novels. While I genuinely enjoy both, it often leaves me frustrated; where are all the college romances? I mean, if you ask me, the college environment lends itself to loads of wonderful romance plot lines.

Despite the definite lack of collegiate-set romance novels out there, there are definitely a few that have begun to break the mold and demonstrate how great this subgenre can be. Below are a list of five that I’ve compiled and can vouch for — here’s a plus: they’re super diverse reads, too!

5. “The Royal We” by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan

Who has seen “The Prince and Me”, starring Julia Stiles and Luke Mably? I have, at least five times. In the past year. I’m a sucker for anything even vaguely royal, and this novel satisfies that craving every single time. “The Royal We” places an American student in Oxford where she falls in love with the future King of Great Britain. I won’t spoil any of the details, but, let’s just say this is a must read for any fans of the royal family, romance, and overall shenanigans involving the Queen and her kingdom.

4. “Trade Me” by Courtney Milan

When Tina, a working class student dedicated to studying her way out of poverty for her and her family, runs into Blake, the heir of a tech company, their lives could not be more different. Which is exactly why they decide to take a walk in each other’s shoes, getting to know each other quite intimately in the process. For fans of “Pride and Prejudice”, this is a college rom-com to buy ASAP.

3. “Let’s Talk About Love” by Claire Kann

It isn’t too often that a romance novel a) takes place in a college setting or with college-aged characters, b) is racially diverse, and c) contains an honest portrayal of diverse sexual orientation. “Let’s Talk About Love” by Claire Kann is all three! The novel finds Alice, the main character, reeling after her breakup with her girlfriend on the grounds that she is asexual. When she meets Takumi, a coworker of hers, conversations about her asexuality arise again in this charming romance novel. This book is like nothing you’ve ever read before!

2. “Emergency Contact” by Mary H.K Choi

Penny Lee is in the midst of a tumultuous change that I think we can all relate to — the shift from high school to college. Though she’s been waiting for the chance to leave her overbearing mother and truly begin to discover herself, she still struggles with the change in scenery. Enter her Emergency Contact Sam, her roommate’s relative and a guy who’s totally off limits. Penny and Sam explore dating in the age of cell phones while also opening up conversations about family, mental health, and friendship. Need I say more? 

1. “Fangirl” by Rainbow Rowell

Cath is a fan of Simon Snow, a hit series of fantasy novels reminiscent of a specific 7-book saga about a wizard who lived. Cath is such a fan that she dedicates herself to writing fanfiction, and is pretty great at it too. “Fangirl” follows Cath throughout her freshman year of college as she grapples with adjusting to the new environment, establishing her independence away from her twin sister, and falling for a pretty cute Starbucks barista. In a novel that smartly addresses fan culture while also presenting us with a swoon-worthy romance to boot, Rowell’s novel is definitely one you need to crack open.

The subgenre of romance novels that take place in a college setting is still small, yes, but there are some gems to be found within. 

The name is Delanie -- pronounced del uh knee -- and I love to write and wonder about arts, culture, politics, and everything in between. Keep up with me on IG! @delaniegarcia