This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Back in 2014, Kylie Jenner released Kylie Cosmetics, and the full-glam, Kylie Lip Kits, and Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade were also founded to be every girl’s staple look. That same year, Glossier was founded, and on the other end of the spectrum were the girls whose makeup bag only consisted of mascara, lip-gloss, and the Cloud Paint cheek stain. That was the start of what is now labeled as the “clean girl” versus “full-glam” makeup trends.

Thanks to TikTok, these two polarizing makeup trends have become more evident and popularized. The full-glam look is more commonly associated with the beauty influencer community, such as NikkieTutorials and Mikayla Nogueira, while the clean girl look can be considered more representative of the “it-girl” aesthetic and lifestyle. But what exactly are the differences between these two looks and how do they represent each internet community?

On one hand, the full-glam makeup trend consists of a fuller, flawless, highly accentuated complexion. It has come a long way since the Dip Brow days, with a sultrier finish than before. This entails a full coverage foundation, usually with a matte finish, as well as sculpted features using concealer and cream or powder contour, carved-out eyebrows, blinding highlighter, and intricate eyeshadow, with luscious lashes finalizing the look. Brands such as Fenty, Nars, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Huda Beauty, and Charlotte Tillbury, among many others. The main goal of a full-glam look is just as the name states, to look glamorous and transform yourself with a camera-ready luxurious look!

Meanwhile, the clean-girl trend could be considered as more up and coming, or more popularized by TikTok, than the glam look. While the full-glam face requires more steps and products, the clean-girl look can be achieved with a simple base with concealer, cream blush, bronzer, glowy highlight, and mascara, and if you want to spice things up, a cream eyeshadow or colorful graphic eyeliner can finish off the look. Glossier could be considered the founder and the blueprint for the clean-girl look, but newer brands such as Milk Makeup, Rare Beauty, Kosas, and Saie Beauty have become staples to achieve the altered look. Although a glam look is all about transforming yourself, the clean-girl look revolves around having a flawless finish based on accentuating your natural beauty and practicing your skincare routine to have an already perfect base to work with.

If you are someone who feels like a blinding highlight and a bold red lip is your thing, then the full-glam look is for you. But, if you would rather show your natural beauty with little to no effort, then try the clean-girl look! There is no right or wrong look to pick, it all depends on what you think will make you feel and look more like you.

Senior at Florida International University majoring in psychology with a minor in sociology