This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We all know the saying, “You should go to therapy.”

I definitely believe in the saying that emphasizes the importance of our mental health and how we have a constant idea of ‘How can we contribute to society?’

As a teenager, who is battling the conception of mental health, the challenges of school, and family situations on a daily basis can be overwhelming. It is a daily routine that we all have to face in our lives and that is perfectly fine.

What is not “perfectly fine,” is not acknowledging yourself the way you should be and not allowing yourself to be open in an environment where you feel the balance of uncomfortably and comfort. I say ‘the balance’ because there is a transition that some of us face when we go from being closed off with our emotions to being open with ourselves and with others. It takes a lot of maturing and learning but it is only for the better.

Therapy ‘ALONE’ Tips: You have to acknowledge your emotions and yourself the best way possible. It all comes down to ‘how can we acknowledge ourselves?’

Honestly, speaking from my life experiences growing up, my ethnic family did not know what therapy was. They did not understand how one can be depressed, or what anxiety is. It was normalized to them because they faced so much turmoil that the only solution was to push through it regardless. Emotional availability did not equate with my parents at a point in time.

I never went to see a therapist, but that did not prevent me from understanding myself. I often felt like I was in therapy when I write letters to my younger or older self. When I spoke aloud about the trauma that I have experienced as a child, and what I want to pursue in the future.

I know, it may sound crazy, but it is so true. I truly enjoyed sitting alone and doing voice memos, letters, and ‘therapy sessions’ with just myself to acknowledge my past self, my present self, and my future self. All three are important to me because within those sessions I talk aloud and ask myself “Diana do you know where you went wrong?” “How can you recover from this?” “What do you want to say to your future self as a lesson learned and better outcomes in the future?” Yes, yes, I answer all three questions truthfully without dismissing or judging myself.

Therapy ‘ALONE’ Tip: It is very important to never insult yourself about a situation you can learn from

Within many years, I wanted to know what works best for me and how I contributed to society. For one, I contribute through my writing. I write not only to and for myself, but to others around the world. (I am so thankful for this platform!!) Speaking aloud, recording voice memos, or creating a video helps because I have seen where I once was to where I am now.

Overall, I believe we can be our own therapists. My therapy sessions are a stress relief because I became open to myself in that private environment, but it has allowed me to be open with others going through similar situations or hardships in an even bigger public environment.

Therapy ‘ALONE’ Tip: Find what fits you best. Record yourself or your voice, speak about the situations you are going through now and speak on how it can get better if you don’t know yet, then tell yourself “I will get through it,” cause you will.

EXTRA EXTRA, Read All About It: I would suggest writing a letter to your future self and within a 5-year time span read what you have written to your younger self.

I did this when I started high school and read it on gradution school. I can say I accomplished so much within those 4 years and cried happy tears.

Diana Dupelord is a Senior Editor at Florida International University Her Campus Chapter. She oversees a group of writers that exemplify different genres of writing. She is responsible for ensuring article credibility, while managing and editing writers' content before publication. Diana continues to expand her editorial experience by becoming a Student Editor for FIU's Undergraduate Research Journal for the 2024 Cohort. She dedicates her time to working with Student Writers during the drafting and publication process to ensure efficient published academic research. Additionally, she has served as an intern for Her Campus Media X Ulta Beauty by creating written content on natural hair for the empowerment of Black Beauty. The art of writing has allowed Diana to optimize her passion for it. She is dedicated to sharing her life experiences through her love for writing. Her transparency has allowed her to influence and inspire people by portraying the empowerment of her written pieces. She emphasizes her reasonings to teach the world as "Breaking Barriers is My Purpose."