Campus Celebrity: Jonathon De Lavelanet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Meet this week’s campus celebrity, Jonathan De Lavelanet! This Haitian-Egyptian FIU student shares a role in FIU’s Caribbean Student Association! Read more about Jonathan below.

-Age: 22 years old

-Major: Sports Management

-Year: Senior

-Are you involved on campus?

I am currently the President of the Caribbean Students Association, the largest social student organization on campus with over 400 members. We are a cultural organization which aims to introduce and educate students of all ethnicities and heritages to Caribbean culture. CSA also serves as a destination for students to take a load off from personal tribulations and come together to bond and develop meaningful relationships.

-What do you love about Caribbean culture?

UNITY. DIVERSITY. BLISS. These three terms, in my opinion, best describe how I view my culture and the foundation it is built on.

UNITY: Caribbean people may boost their own egos when representing their home countries but always come together when amongst each other.

DIVERSITY: The Caribbean is a melting pot of ethnicities and cultures from all across the world. I am mistaken for a Latino or Caucasian all the time because of my skin color and never get tired of the priceless facial expressions I see when I reveal my true origin to people.

BLISS: The Caribbean culture is a festive one that promotes joy and happiness through tradition, music, and cuisine. Every time we celebrate it never fails to bring a feeling of bliss among me.

-What are your post-graduation plans?

I honestly don’t have plans after graduation. I try not to live too much in the past or future but more so in the present. All I can do is control what I do now based on what I have experienced. My goal is to create as many opportunities for myself and those around me so that once we do graduate options will be available. I aspire to be an entrepreneur that specializes in Event Coordinating.

-Most memorable moment at FIU?

My most memorable moment at FIU was when I was chosen as the President for FIU Caribbean Students Association. I am passionate about what I do and aim to raise the bar while carrying on the legacy of this organization. 

-Advice to your fellow panthers?

Don’t panic if you don’t know what you want to do in life. As long as you have an open mind and keep the well being of yourself and others in consideration, positive progression will come. Oh, and check out FIU CSA sometime!

Ashley is a junior at Florida International University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Social Media & E-Marketing Analytics. Born and raised in Miami to Trinidadian parents, Ashley comes from a diverse background that cultivated her love for cultural diversity. She loves blogging, entertainment, music and travelling. Ashley aspires to become the editor-in-chief of her own online publication in the future. Check out Ashley's entertainment and lifestyle blog at www.callmemissandrews.com ! Follow her on twitter: @callmemsandrews and on Instagram: @callmemissandrews