Britney Spears’ Crossroads (2002) is going to be the next Cult Classic girl movie!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Netflix has an array of new titles coming to the platform this month, but there is one that I predict will be the next cult classic; right next to Clueless and How to Lose a Guy in 10 days. The movie I’m referencing is Crossroads (2002), starring Britney Spears, Zoe Saldana, and Taryn Manning. The screenplay is written by the ever so popular Shonda Rhimes and directed by Tamra Davis.

Crossroads tells the story of three childhood friends, that once drifted apart, coming back together for a cross-country road trip with a guy they just met (played by Anson Mount). They travel from their modest hometown in Louisiana to Los Angeles, each with a mission in mind. Britney’s character plans to reconnect with her mother (played by Sex and the City’s Kim Cattrall!) who left her in Arizona when she was only three years old. Zoe Saldana’s character plans to travel to her long distance boyfriend’s school to talk about their engagement, and Taryn Manning’s character, who is pregnant, plans on going to LA to be a star and provide a good life for her child. The movie follows the group’s journey and the antics they get into while on the road trip.

This movie is a coming of age story, with all of the characters being recent high school graduates who are about to face the adult world. This movie has everything! Romance, tension amongst friends, and the message it sends to its audience is truly amazing. This film came out in 2002, so prepare to see the amazing 2000’s fashion and adore young Britney in her first ever acting role. The film also includes a killer soundtrack featuring Britney’s classics, “I’m not a girl” and, “Overprotected”. I was lucky enough to catch this film in theaters because of a re-release to promote Britney Spears’ new book. The message of this film is a lesson that a lot of us will go through, which is, what you have planned for yourself might not be what you really need.

Crossroads Movie Trailer

This is also the film’s first time hitting streaming services ever! It’s coming to Netflix February 15th. It’s the perfect way to spend Valentine’s Weekend. Be sure to check it out. I have a feeling it’s going to be a hit!

Kelsey is a pop culture, style and life writer for Her Campus. She covers multiple topics pertaining to current events in culture such as celebrity news and trends as well as lifestyle trends that are constantly trending online on Tiktok, Instagram, and Twitter. She hopes to be a writer for a fashion magazine eventually or a bestselling author. Culture is her main topic of choice because Kelsey Loves to stay current on all the latest trends. Kelsey is currently a senior at the Florida International University working towards her Bachelor's degree in communication focusing on the Organizational Communication track. In her free time Kelsey likes to spend endless hours on Pinterest creating the perfect mood boards for all of the different scenarios she creates in her head, Go thrift shopping based off of her everchanging wardrobe and personal style, hang out with friends and family, going to the movies theaters to watch the latest blockbuster, Spend her money at Tjmaxx, and watch her favorite guilty pleasure reality tv shows The Bachelorette and The Bachelor she may hate to admit that she watches it, but ask her who got sent home last week and she'll answer you before you even finish asking her.