This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity, Lauren Peterson!

Year: Junior

Major: Biology

Minor: Chemistry

Age: 21

1.What are your campus involvments?

I’m part of Academy of Leaders, I’m also an AB Site leader, as well as Speaker of the House at the Biscayne Bay Campus. Aside from that I work at Starbucks on campus and this semester I’m a Peer Mentor in an SLS class.

2. What is the most valuable lesson you have learned through your different involvments?

The most valueble lesson that I’ve learned is that you have to be open minded with what people have to bring to the table and that not everyone works or thinks the same way as you.

3. For how many years have you been a part of SGA?

I was involved in SGA since my sophomore year in high school, and I’ve been a part of SGA at BBC for the past two years.

4. What do you plan on doing after college?

After college I plan on going to medical school, and going into forensic pathology.

5.What is your advice to students who want to get involved on campus?

Do it! You never know who you’re going to meet.  Geting involved is like a networking opportunity. It will also foster your Panther pride wherever you’re situated. My pride in being a Panther is so much more elevated than someone who is not involved because you get what you put in. People at FIU sometimes don’t have the chance to get the stereotypical college experience, but getting involved helps you make it better. Getting involved in college is also the easiest way to get work experience, and surround yourself with driven people like you that will motivate you to do better.

6. If you could change one thing about FIU what would it be?

The availability of classes at the BBC campus, because if students feel a conection at BBC or live closer to campus they shouldn’t be obligated to go to the other campus. 

7. What’s your advice for freshmen?

Don’t be afraid of going at your own pace, sometimes your advisors might not know what’s best for you. Your GPA is very important because it translates into financial aid and being able to join organizations.  Also get out of your comfort zone and meet new people.  If you don’t put yourself out there that will affect your personal growth. Make sure you are able to reach out to people as a college student instead of just as a representative of an organization and connect with them at another level. Don’t let business relationships limit you from fostering personal relationships. Also be aware of how people perceive you and maintain a professional persona.