Style > Beauty

Battle of the Gels: ECO Style vs. Wet Line Xtreme

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Finding a good gel is a must with natural hair. Most naturals strive to find gels that don’t flake up or doesn’t leave your hair feeling too hard.  Hopefully, this review helps you on your journey on finding the best gel for you.

Hair Type: 4C

Eco Styler Olive Oil 

Eco Style Professional Styling Gel today is one of the largest hair gel companies with the greatest variety of hair gels to choose from under one brand. Eco is also known for being the first alcohol-free hair styling product to reach the market. Eco Styler Olive Oil is made from 100% pure olive oil with ‘superior hold.’

Price: $12

Review:

I styled my hair in mini twists using the Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel. I paired this gel with ‘As I Am’ leave-in conditioner and Jamaican Castor Oil. When applying the gel I had to use a generous amount of gel to seal the ends of my twist to keep them from getting frizzy. After day 1 I had to reapply gel to the ends, but my edges were still smooth and slick. Also, my hair all throughout felt hard and there were white flakes that had shown up in my scalp from the combination of products.  My overall opinion on the Eco Styler is that I love the hold but dislike the white flakes that occurred after the product is applied.

Wet Line Xtreme Professional Styling Gel

Wet Line Xtreme Professional Styling Gel is an alcohol-free gel with UV protection, aloe vera and an extra long lasting hold.

Price:$2.96

Review: I styled my hair in mini twists using the Wet Line Xtreme Professional Styling Gel. I paired this gel with ‘As I Am’ leave in conditioner and Jamaican Castor Oil. A little goes a long way when applying this gel. My ends sealed with little product applied. After day 1 I didn’t have to reapply the gel to my hair and the gel left my hair soft as well as malleable.  

Overall Thoughts

The overall winner, in my opinion, is Wet Line Xtreme Professional Styling Gel because the gel had no white flakes after being applied and had a soft finish after my hair dried. These two factors aresomething I struggle to find in all gels. Also, I personally believe that different products work differently depending on the leave in conditioner that you use. That being said ‘As I Am’ doesn’t work well with Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, so if you want to use this gel you would have to find another leave in conditioner that doesn’t leave white flakes.

Hello there! I'm Dria and I'm a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. In my spare time, I enjoy hanging out with friends and family, taking photos, doing anything nerdy and visiting museums. Follow me on Instagram @_mitochon_dria_ and Twitter @DriaThomas.