This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

You’re probably wondering, “what can astrology really do?” Perhaps every time you read something about your zodiac sign you feel as if it doesn’t resonate with you, or maybe you see astrology as a pseudoscience.

After today, you will see that astrology, just like space, is expansive, complex, and beautiful. There is much more than sun signs and horoscopes when it comes to it, that if allowed can help mold and guide you.

It should be noted that there’s nothing in astrology that can pre-determine or show what the exact future will look or be like. It can, however, help you understand more about yourself. It can open doors to our closet filled with skeletons, show fears, secrets, dreams, and communicative skills, and the reasons behind them. 

In order to start, you will need to get your natal chart; which can be accessed through astro.com or by searching on Google and typing “full natal chart calculator.” Although this website doesn’t break each aspect down, as others might, it is easier to read for beginners.

Another great website is cafeastrology.com. Unlike astro.com, this website displays the natal chart in a different format.  However, if both charts from both or either websites are used then it will be okay. It truly is up to you.

After inputting the exact time, location and other data asked on the website this is what should appear.

As shown in the image above, Libra is my sun sign. The sun sign is what most magazines and online horoscopes use, but let me give you a tip… don’t solely focus on the sun sign when reading horoscopes.

Most astrologers suggest reading the moon sign and the rising signs along with the sun sign. These three are known in the astro-community as “the big three” because they’re the essence of what makes up oneself. Others in the astro-community say that it’s okay to just read the sun and rising or the sun and the moon, but truthfully, it is all up to you. The reason it’s suggested to use the big three is as follows, the sun sign is one’s true self, the personality, the moon sign is the inner self, the raw emotions kept inside, and the rising or ascendant sign is the physical characteristics, the projection–mask that people see when they first meet you. Together, all these three signs can help you read your horoscope thoroughly. 

This can also be a factor as to why nothing ever made sense to you; you were only partially reading your horoscope. There was only one facet of the formation going through and not the whole message the stars wanted you to know.With astrology you have to read your personality, your emotions, and your projection or you won’t know what the stars are trying to tell you.

Now, with those three simplified, let’s go further into discussing the other planets.

As mentioned above, the moon sign shows how you express your emotions, but it can also show how the role of your mother or motherly figure effected you while growing up. This is because the moon exudes feminine energy. Astrologers also say that the moon sign can slightly show what type of mother you might be. 

Mercury rules the communication, intellectual, and technological side of us. The sign you have here can show how you communicate with someone, how you analyze and think things and how you convey your thoughts, whether it be internally or externally.

Venus is the planet in astrology that most people associate with love, which isn’t wrong. This planet, just like the Roman Goddess, does have rulership over romanticism but it also rules money. It shows how you take pleasure in life, how you tend to spend your money, how you treat yourself and how you treat those you love.

Mars is our sink or swim instinct, our drive. Whether it be in sex, desire, or energy, it is you at the peak of the morning. The one that spills all the hidden desires to your diary, yourself in that midnight session.

Jupiter is the ruler of fortune, luck, your brains, and all its ethical and moral values, as well as your level of optimism in life.

Saturn, a masculine energy planet, is the rules, regulation, and discipline. It can show you where you need growth.

Uranus is a rebellious planet. It’s the individuality inside of us, the advocate, the quirks that make you stand out.

Neptune is the intuition and spiritual enlightenment we have or crave. It can show where your dreams, institution and psychic sensitivity come into play.

Pluto, seen as a malevolent planet, is the energy we can use to open our eyes to see the truths we seek; the deeper meaning to the truth. It’s our renewal and rebirth, our transformation. 

This wheel shows what each house represents. It’s a summary of what each house stewards and what is inside of it. To know exactly what each planet each sign means, you will have to further research astrology books or book a reading with someone who has a good knowledge of the subject.

Do not fret if one of your houses is ‘empty’ or has no planets. That is okay as there are only ten planets and twelve houses. Some houses will be ‘empty’ but doesn’t mean anything. It just means that whatever house(s) that has no planet has no importance to you.

When looking at the natal chart, there will be some planets that have either an ‘R’ or ‘RX’. That means those planets are in retrograde.  Those planets ” invite you to look more deeply into what this planet truly means to you.” This could be very much experienced & felt internally, but this external world is just a gigantic mirror for what we’re processing within so it very well could show up in real life events.”—@haleycometastro

Now here are some things that I have found interesting while trying to interpret my own chart:

There are some websites, astro-books, and astrologers that claim each rising sign have an exact physical trait. For example, some websites and books claims that Taurus rising have doe-eyes, full lips, tend to have a square-like face, etc… Other celebrities with Taurus risings include Rita Hayworth, Camilla Cabello, Gigi Hadid and many more. If you look at these three women, then you will note that although they do not look exactly the same, they do share some of the same physical qualities.

The fifth house in a female’s chart can predict what their first born child will be like. Whatever planet is inside of that house and if that planet is either a feminine planet or masculine planet can determine the sex or how they will be or act. 

It’s important to note any aspects in this house also are as equally important to pay attention to.

Wait for this, so, your 7th house is your 2nd pregnancy.

These are just some of the few things in astrology that you can look more on. If I actually sit back here and tell you guys all the tea on my chart and how you can interpret your own chart then we will never be done. 

I suggest each of you to really look at your natal chart and to find your birth certificate for an accurate time because let’s face it, our parents have so many things in their minds that they might be a couple minutes off. The exact time to the T is very important; which is why I urge you to find your certificate for accuracy.

These are just some of the many Astro-community twitter accounts that can help you understand more on your natal chart. Some even have free threads on their twitter page with general insight on some of the houses and planets.

@ijaadee

@AquariusGoddes

@happycapricorn

@haleycometastro 

Disclaimer: The article above is my depiction of astrology and how I have retained it. I am still actively learning and studying astrology and trying to learn more. Take this message as you like, take what you want, and contact me if you believe I have said anything wrong so I may correct it.

Stephanie Almendares is currently a student at Florida International University majoring in Mass communication-Journalism while also getting a Film Certificate. She enjoys watching plays, reading books--some which she's already read more then 10 times-- and learning about crystals and astrology.