Feeling anxious? Here are three grounding methods to put into practice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

I have struggled with anxiety disorder my whole life. When I was young, before going to school, I would feel symptoms like trembling, nausea, and my heart beating so fast it felt like it was about to explode. Growing up in a country where mental health was not really talked about, I always felt something was wrong with me. By the time I moved to Florida at thirteen years old, my symptoms had gotten worse and I was depressed. Throughout high school, I constantly experienced anxiety attacks, until I went to a therapist and was finally diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and depression. Being told that there was nothing wrong with me for experiencing these symptoms was validating and freeing. Here are three methods that were provided by my therapist:

The Five Senses

This particular grounding method may be common; however, I find it very effective. The method starts off by naming the first five things you see; for example, if I’m in a classroom, I’d name the whiteboard, desk, laptop, phone, and water bottle. Then you look for four things you can feel; I’d feel the keyboard, jacket, water bottle, and scrunchie. I would then pick up and feel the texture of these four particular objects. Next, I would pay attention to three things I can hear; I would hear the clock ticking, my professor, and me typing my notes on the keyboard. Then, two things you can smell; the perfume in my tote bag and a snack I packed. Lastly, for the final sense you would have to grab something you can taste; my water bottle or gum.

step-by-step activity outline

If you have a hobby or activity that you know how to perform well, describe how to do that particular activity through steps. In my case, I would describe how to do a painting or drawing step by step to keep me grounded. I would guide myself through the steps to painting a picture. I would then would grab my supplies and start priming my canvas. Then I’d finally start painting the picture in my mind. Once I was done with my painting, I’d add the varnish to finish off.

Spelling game

Another method to keep you grounded is to spell out your first, middle, and last name, letter by letter. You then pick three people you are close to—one of your relatives, your close friends, or a significant other—and spell out each of their names. In my case, I would use the name of my cousin, grandmother, and aunt.

You should contact your medical provider before using any of these techniques.

Hello! My name is Christine Santiago; my pronouns are she, her, and hers. My major is Political Science/Pre-Law.