This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It can be agreed that dogs are some of our favorite and much needed companions. Some people are dog owners and the rest wish to be. However, when deciding on where to purchase this new pup, instead of going to over priced pet store shops it is recommended to adopt from a local pet shelter. Local pet shelters often serve to help lost dogs find a safe and loving home. They go on trips around the city to rescue dogs in need and nurse them to later offer them a second chance. Although dog shelters are largely operated through volunteers, they face a lot of finance difficulties to keep the shelter running smoothly. If potential new dog owners adopt from the shelter it would help keep it up and running and will save a life.

If you do wish to adopt a dog from a shelter, below is added information you can use before welcoming your furry friend home.

Some information to consider before:

• Shelter animals are either free or less expensive than other common dog stores depending on the shelter.

• Shelter animals have been neutered or spayed.

• Adult dogs can sometimes be easier to train and attain.

• They might bark or howl or even be frightened by people the first few weeks depending on the dog.

• When you meet the dog make sure you establish a connection, most of the time they will be scared.

• Talk through this decision with family and make sure they are not allergic to the fur. The last thing that is wanted is for the dog to be returned and go through the process again.

The adoption process:

1. Check social networks or local shelters that are advertising dogs that need a new home.

2. Contact the shelter to pay a visit.

3. Meet the dogs and establish a connection, it might even just be love at first sight.

4. Complete the paperwork to make the adoption final and cover any expenses.

5. Shelter dogs are often taken care of at their clinic, but make sure that it has all its shots and is registered in the system.

6. Head over to your nearest pet store to purchase essentials: a dog collar/name tag, dog food, some toys, a bed, etc.

7. Take it home and give it love.

For more information on how or where to adopt a dog from a shelter, visit or contact your nearest dog shelter to go through availability and procedures. Also make sure to refer to other potential dog owners and spread the word to save another life.

Cover Photo Source

I am a student at Florida International University who is passionate about the power of expression and empowering women. I am a proud member of Alpha Xi Delta majoring in Marketing and International relations and hope to write to inform, inspire, or even to entertain through my works.