5 Ways to Make it Feel Like Fall in Miami

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As someone who migrated from a hometown with all four seasons, to a place like Miami with only two, (hot and hotter), I tend to get nostalgic over the feelings that Autumn brings from back home. While Miami may not give me crisp cold air, orange leaves, and apple picking, I have discovered quite a few ways to still get in the fall mood. Whether you are in Miami or any tropical climate, here are some recommendations on how to summon the spirit of fall from a seasoned (pun intended) veteran herself.

Eat Seasonal foods

Eating seasonal foods is not only healthy for your body but especially effective in getting in the fall mood. Apples, pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, squash, and sweet potatoes are the most infamously known foods/spices associated with this season. There are also many other produce items that are seasonal in the fall on USDA’s website which you can find here.

Subbing fall foods into typical recipes makes the season feel special and it is easy and fun. For example, instead of making regular pancakes, you can do cinnamon apple pancakes. Trader Joe’s and many other supermarkets participate in the trend of putting out special ready to eat seasonal items, especially in the fall, so don’t miss out while they are here!

use fall scents

I’m no scientist, but I do know for a fact that our sense of smell is powerful in generating emotions and memories. In Christmas it’s the smell of peppermint, and in fall it’s the smells of pumpkin and cinnamon that make us feel good. Fall scents come in the for of candles, diffusors, sprays, and probably even incense. Designating the same scent to this time of year can be a great way to feeling the spirit of fall. You can find some amazing fall scented candles here.

surround yourself with fall colors

One of my favorite ways to make it feel like fall is to dress in darker shades. While the weather might not let you wear cute jackets, boots, and long pants, you can still match the fall vibe with colors. Red, orange, burgundy, gray, brown, and black are the stars of the show every fall season.

watch halloween movies

Fall = spooky season. Watching any of the hundreds famous Halloween movies is a sure way to feel the energy of the season. I recommend making a whole night out of it by lighting some candles, wearing cozy pajamas, and baking some cookies to really get in the mood.

Put up decor

Last but not least is putting up some fall decor. Living on a college budget, I was able to find some super cute decorations at the dollar store, one of which was skeleton hands in the shape of a heart. Seeing my little decorations every time I get back to my apartment from class makes me feel so cheery and at home. Other types of fall decorations can be blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, pictures, and more. There are so many kinds of decor you can put up to transport you into a fall environment.

Sofia is a senior studying Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications at FIU. Sofia loves all things writing and art. She was born and raised in New Jersey but currently resides in Miami. Sofia has a passion for seeing new places, trying new things, and delving into the world of different media.