This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With Halloween around the corner, there has never been a better time to start binging a new show. Although movies are a classic way to ease into the festive spirit, a truly hair-raising series allows the fear factor to linger long after the episode ends. 

To keep you on the edge of your seat every day until Halloween, here are five terrifying recommendations that are sure to make you sleep with the lights on.

1. The Haunting of Hill House

This one is my personal favorite from the list. Follow the lives of the Crain family as they move into a new home that includes some uninvited guests. If you’re looking to enjoy an original and gripping plot while also genuinely being scared to death, look no further.

2. The Haunting of Bly Manor

The successor to The Haunting of Hill House, The Haunting of Bly Manor places a whole new emphasis on scary storytelling. Set in England during the 1980s, it follows the story of American governess Danielle Clayton as she cares for two unique children. If you’re a fan of slow-building suspense, this one’s for you.

3. Unsolved Mysteries

For those who crave non-fiction thrill, this iconic documentary series tells the story of real-life disappearances, murders, and shocking paranormal encounters. If the Patrice Endres episode doesn’t make you heavily uncomfortable, I don’t know what will.

4. Ratched

Follow the petrifying story of Mildred Ratched, played by the talented Sarah Paulson, as a psychiatric hospital nurse in the 1950s. Though it seems like Mildred has it all together, under her composed nature lurks something wicked. Fans of psychological horror will love this one, not to mention Paulson’s superb acting.

5. American Horror Story

American Horror Story is a classic must-watch every year. The anthology series does horror unlike any other, from gore to the paranormal. There is no show out there quite like this one, with every season being so vastly different from the last. Just pick a season, kick back, and prepare to be terrorized.

What’s your favorite horror series?

Follow DANIELA on Instagram.

Daniela Gonzalez is a 21-year-old HerCampus Writer at Florida International University. She is currently double-majoring in Political Science and International Relations while acquiring certificates in Pre-Law and National Security. She enjoys writing about lifestyle, wellness, and politics. When she is not writing, she loves to travel, go out to eat, and spend time with her friends and family.