This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Quarantine is hard and not being able to see friends makes it even more difficult. However, video games are making it easier for friends to connect with each other. Between quarantine and the release of Animal Crossing, so many people around the world are buying Nintendo switches; stores are quickly selling out.

“I’ve been able to sink myself into my games instead of driving myself crazy, aimlessly trying to find something to occupy my time with,” said Ashley Blake, a student living in South Florida. Now, more than ever, people are turning to video games to escape the confines of their homes. Here is a list of great Nintendo Switch games that make it easy to connect with your friends.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a sandbox game that allows players to “escape to a deserted island and create [their] own paradise as [they] explore, create, and customize [it}.” 

We’ve previously mentioned Animal Crossing before; but now that it’s finally out, people are tirelessly playing, looking to upgrade and personalize their islands.

Friends are going online visiting each other without breaking quarantine. The game is allowing players to get creative and interact with friends who are miles apart. Blake said it even allowed her to reconnect with friends she lost touch with.

On YouTube and Facebook, people are posting videos of how to play Musical Chairs in New Horizons with other friends.

Natalie Luz, a local artist, was introduced to Animal Crossing when she was in middle school and has played City Folk, Wild World, and New Leaf. She says she bought New Horizons hoping to play with friends.

Just Dance 2020

Just Dance 2020 is a dance game that tracks your movement using the Switch’s remotes. Players pick the songs or soundtracks they want to dance to and earn points by dancing on the beat to their favorite songs.

It’s a game that allows users to exercise and have fun doing it. People can compete with others from around the world and get prizes while listening to their favorite songs. The game comes with a set track of 40 songs; however, players do get a free one month trial to Just Dance Unlimited, which includes more than 500 songs.

For the King

Due to social distancing, people’s Dungeons & Dragons campaigns might be on a hiatus, but that’s okay. For The King is “a strategic RPG that blends tabletop and roguelike elements in a challenging adventure that spans the realms”. It’s a great substitute for anyone who misses dungeon crawling, butt-kicking adventures.

People can even play together online or stream it on apps like Discord using a Capture Card.

Risk of Rain 2

Risk of Rain is a challenging, and sometimes frustrating, third-person shooter. The player is chased around randomized stages by monsters. The game progressively gets hard the longer you stay in any particular stage.

People can play alone or alongside friends. The game is consuming, and it’s easy to lose track of time while playing it. The game constantly challenges players’ skills.

Smash Bros Ultimate

Trash talk and fight your friends as your favorite Nintendo character. Not only is it fun to challenge your friends, but you can also test your skills fighting against NPC. The fighter roster is consistently updated to include new characters. Fight on stages modeled after classic and new Nintendo games.

Many people compete in weekly Smash tournaments. However, due to COVID-19, many arcades are closing; but that doesn’t mean players have to take a hiatus. Creating a Discord Server and inviting friends on to compete in arenas is a great way to keep the tradition.

Create an arena to play against your friends or random strangers around the world. No matter how you choose to play, it’s a game filled with endless amounts of fun.

Julia Gomez is a student of journalism at Florida International University and hopes to become an investigative journalist. She is experienced in writing about politics and pop culture, and has a passion for music and photography.