Life > Experiences

5 Lessons I Learned From my College Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Friends come and go, and each friend in your life brings a valuable lesson for you to hold on. Some friendships aren’t meant to last forever. Some are there to serve a purpose for some time in your life and then move on when it’s done. However, there are some friendships that you know are unconditional and eternal. I’ve been so lucky to meet my best friends in college. College is such a crazy time in life, and having people you can share that makes it easier. The best friends I’ve made in college have all made me who I am today. They did that by all being a catalyst to learn life lessons. Here are five things I learned from my college best friends.

1. It’s okay to be busy

College is a hectic and crazy time in anyone’s life. It feels like you’re living life at 100 MPH. In trying to juggle work, school, extracurriculars, and social life, it may feel like it’s so hard to do everything there is to do. True friends acknowledge that this is the time that our careers and futures depend on most, and hanging out 24/7 doesn’t mean it’s not real. Sometimes I can go days or weeks without talking to my best friends. But it’s not about the quantity of time spent together, it’s the quality of time. I like to surround myself with likeminded people and people who are also driven and passionate about whatever they do in life. 

2. There’s nothing you can’t tell them

When we’re young, we grow up wanting to fit in and be like everyone else. In middle school and high school, every friend group was the same. When I got to college, I learned it was okay to be different. It was okay to like stuff that others don’t, or vise versa. I also learned that it’s okay to be honest about stuff going on in your life. I’ve learned that everyone has a story and everyone has moments they’re not proud of. Venting and leaning on your friends make those moments easier. My college best friends have shown me there’s no place for judgment.

3. They’ll tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear

The first step in confiding in a friend is preparing to hear the truth. A real friend tells you what you need to hear, and they’ll tell you how it is. No one successfully lives in blissful oblivion. They know the ugly side of things and how to deal with it. Friends will hold you accountable and guide you to a better path because a true friend wants the best for you. Sometimes, when we’re in a situation, we’re so blindsided that we don’t see it from a whole sight perspective. Your friends can see a situation from an outside perspective and give you the advice you need to hear.

4. They’re going to hate your ex-boyfriend more than you do

It’s just a fact. There’s no changing this fact. Everyone has that one ex-boyfriend that all your friends hate. Even if you get back together with him, they’re still going to hate him (trust me I know). Friends will do the most to help you see how bad a guy is before the thought has even crossed your mind. Once this boy hurts you for the first time, it’s over for him. He will never again gain the approval of your friend group. 

5. True friendship isn’t measured by time or history

I think the biggest misconception about having a best friend is that your best friend is someone you’ve known your whole life. Having my college best friends has shown me that some people are temporary. These people prepare you for the ones who are meant to stay in your life. Knowing someone for 8 or more years doesn’t define a true or real connection. Soulmate friendships can happen after knowing someone for a month or a year. The key to a real true and genuine friendship is the bond that connects the individuals or groups. Your best friends are your support group and the people life chooses for you. I’m lucky to have found these people in college.

I'm a senior at FIU, majoring in Criminal Justice on the Pre-Law track. My goal is to one day go to law school and become a lawyer. I love to read mystery and thriller books that keep me guessing. I am an advocate for our generation being a catalyst to social justice. You could say Elle Woods is who I channel in life.