5 Best Books for Beginner Bookworms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Once again that season has come around where New Year equals new resolutions. Whether starting a fitness journey or saving money is one of your New Year’s resolutions, it’s never too late to add reading to that list. Few may think of reading as a chore as opposed to entertainment – and though it can appear as a lengthy task, there’s plenty of help and guidance that books have to offer. For those who aren’t exactly sure where to start, here are 5 books for beginners that are worth your while.

1. THE ALCHEMIST BY PAULO Coelho

The Alchemist follows the story of Santiago, a young boy who experiences a reoccurring dream. During his dream, Santiago is teleported to the pyramids of Egypt where he is destined to find treasure. Throughout the story, he seeks to find the answers to this dream and encounters several obstacles on his adventure to Egypt. It’s the type of book that leaves you wondering who you really are and what may your destiny be – it advises readers that one encounters these challenges in order to reach their goals or dreams.

2. The giver By lois lowry

In a dystopian-society where everything appears black and white… literally, Jonas starts to notice that those of his community lack the ability to experience emotions and are all designed to be alike. When Jonas finally meets the Giver, he is given memories of past lives that later cause him to urgently desire change within his community’s way of life. This futuristic novel reminds us of the importance of life and the memories that come along with it; it reminds us to not only value our own relationships with one another but to also value the relationship between ourselves and our feelings. It’s a well-written book that certainly keeps the reader wanting to discover more.

3. The Great gatsby by F. scott fitzgerald

One of the most talked about books since its publication in 1925, The Great Gatsby is a classic must-read. The story occurs in Long Island, NY, during the Jazz age. Jay Gatsby (main protagonist) is a millionaire who spends almost every night hosting large, wild parties inside his Long Island mansion. Though he entertains all these grand events, more than half of Gatsby’s guests have never even met or seen him. So… who is this mystery man? Gatsby is an example of the American dream. Beside being a self made man, Gatsby built everything he has and hosted every party he could in hopes that one day, the love of his life – Daisy – may return to him.

4. Tell me three things By julie buxbaum

After the death of her mother, Jessie’s father has re-married and announces that they will be moving to Los Angeles, California. As Jessie struggles to adjust to her new life and family, she encounters an anonymous persona who she begins to rely on for advice. This New York Times Bestseller is a fitting book for those who prefer a more witty and young-adult based route. If you enjoy a worthy Rom-Com, Tell Me Three Things is the book for you.

5. when breath becomes air by paul kalanithi

Lastly, this tear-jerker is an excellent autobiography that expresses the importance of living your life – more specifically, what gives life meaning. Written by Paul Kalanithi, this memoir dives deep into Kalanithi’s life as a surgeon and how it changed once after being diagnosed with stage-four lung cancer. The book discusses Kalanithi’s transition from doctor to patient as well as the relationship between him and his wife, Lucy. When Breath Becomes Air is a book that serves as a wake up call to do the things that one enjoys the most instead of wondering what could’ve been.

Reading should be something that doesn’t feel rushed or forceful. It can definitely take a while at times but that’s how good things work! Books open the door for many conversations and feed knowledge to the mind. If developing a new hobby is one of your resolutions, definitely add ‘read more’ to the list. I know I am!

Samantha joined Her Campus in January 2022 and has continued as a writer. Based in Miami, Florida and is currently a Public Relations student at Florida International University. Favorite pastimes range from art and writing to music and traveling. Enjoys watching movies, going out, and watching sports games.