This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As I and many other seniors prepare to steam our graduation robes, decorate our caps, and organize the last few weeks of our last semester of college, it’s impossible not to think about the past few years and how they have shaped us into who we are today. For better or worse, none of us walk past the graduation stage, diploma in hand, the same person we were when we walked into school for the first time as a freshman. College is one of the most pivotal moments of our lives, a time where we are not only allowed, but encouraged, to make mistakes and let them shape us into who we will be in the future.

That isn’t to say that once the tassel has been tossed to the left, we’re all grown up — in fact, that’s far from the truth. However, the next chapter of our lives will be devoted to a new kind of learning, one that is just a hair more mature than that of college. Hopefully. Either way, when looking back on my undergrad years, there are a few lessons that are the most impactful.

1. Don’t be afraid of rejection.

Whether it’s in love, work, or school — rejection is one of the only constants we can rely on in this world. It might be a tough pill to swallow, but it’s the truth: you will be rejected, time and time again. Rather than let rejections get to me, I’ve learned to take them in stride, using them as an opportunity to revise and make sure that I’m ready for the next opportunity. Thinking of every rejection as one step closer to where I’m supposed to be means I’m almost there.

2. Let yourself make mistakes.

It’s far too easy to fall into the habit of being a perfectionist. We’re constantly surrounded by images of success, whether online or otherwise, and often we make ourselves believe that failure is a reflection of our self-worth and value. In reality, no one ever publicizes their failures, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Failure is another natural process that happens to everyone, and the sooner we let ourselves grow as a result of failure, the sooner we will succeed.

3. Don’t try to grow up too quickly

For many people, college is the first chance they get to be independent — something that often gets abused. Something I realized throughout college was that, though independence is a necessary process that all young adults must go through, why rush the process? We’re young, and we have a lot of time in our later 20s, and the rest of our lives for that matter, to worry about ‘adulting’. Why jump in headfirst?

4. Take it one day at a time.

Admittedly, this one is a lesson I’m still trying to learn. I am practically addicted to planning out each and every second of my day, meticulously wondering where I’ll be and what I’ll be doing 5 or 10 years from now. The truth is, the only moment promised is the one we’re living right now. If we’re constantly worrying about the future, we’ll never actually appreciate any of the moments we do have. Taking things one day at a time means understanding and preparing for the future without obsessing over it.

As graduation day approaches, so does the day a huge chapter of life closes. That is scary, exciting, and nerve-wracking all at once. But it’s only the beginning.

The name is Delanie -- pronounced del uh knee -- and I love to write and wonder about arts, culture, politics, and everything in between. Keep up with me on IG! @delaniegarcia