This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With finals week very much underway, many of us are daydreaming of those relaxing beach days that come along with our summer break. What if you consider some reef and ocean-friendly sunscreen for this summer? In the last 30 years, over 50% of our reefs have died. Aside from the littering and polution problem, a factor that often goes unnoticed is the chemicals we bring into the ocean on our bodies. The problem with traditional sunscreens are the chemicals they are produced with, specifically: oxybenzone and octinoxate, a high concentration of titanium dioxide, and parabens or petrolatum/mineral oil. These are the ones you want to make sure your sunscreen DOESN’T have for it to be reef-friendly. These chemicals are damaging our reefs and ultimately contributing to their death. Fortunately, there are lots of companies that are on top of this and I’ve compiled a list of reef-friendly sunscreens that won’t break the bank and can be found at a drugstore near you. 

Photo by: Bare Republic

Bare Republic ($8.99- $18.99)

Bare Republic offers products that are cruelty-free, biodegradable, paraben-free, and water resistant. They also have a line for baby sunscreens. Bare Republic can be found at Target, Walmart, Ulta Beauty, Amazon, and Walgreens!

Photo by: Madaleine Murphy

Sun Bum ($9.99- $17.99)

Sun Bum’s products are vegan, cruelty-free, gluten-free, paraben-free, reef-friendly, and water resistant. Their line goes as far as post-sun care, haircare and lipcare. Sun Bum can be found at Target, Walmart, Ulta Beauty, Amazon, and Walgreens!

Photo by: Alba Botanica

Alba Botanica ($6.99- $15.99)

Alba offers products that are vegetarian, reef-friendly, cruelty-free, recycable and water resistant. They are one of the most developed brands on this list. Their line extends to post-sun care, facecare, haircare, and bodycare. Alba can be found at Target, Walmart, Amazon and CVS!

Photo by: Pacifica Beauty

Pacifica Beauty ($11.00- $16.00)

Although Pacifica isn’t 100% reef-friendly (due to their small doses of a few ingredients), I thought it was an honorable mention because their products are 100% vegan and cruelty-free. Pictured above is Pacifica’s new mineral bronzing and sunscreen line (which I am very excited to try). Though they are fairly new with their suncare, they are well versed in their makeup, perfume, skincare, haircare, nailcare, and bath & bodycare. Pacifica can be found at Walmart, Target, Ulta Beauty, Amazon, CVS and Walgreens!

Andrea is a junior at Florida International University, studying hospitality. She has a passion for the environment, music, theatre, movies, and healthy living. Having been in the retail industry for over 3 years, she is currently exploring employment in the food industry. After years of theatre and music training, Andrea is using HER Campus as another creative outlet.