diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

3 Things My Mother Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The best advice that I have received in my life thus far has been given by my mother. Aside from raising me, she has loved me in a way that nobody else has. My mother has given my family and I undivided attention, understanding, and caring.

Here are three things that my mother taught me that will always be essential in my life:

1. Faith

I thank my mother for teaching me to have faith. Most importantly, she taught me to always have faith in myself and the things that I dreamed for. Even though faith varies depending on the person, wether you have faith in God or a higher power, she always reminded me that it is crucial to have faith in yourself and believe that you are capable of doing anything you set your mind to.

2. Patience

During my teenage years, I wanted to have everything right then and there. I thank my mother for teaching me to have patience and not be in a rush to grow up. I look back at when I was younger and wish I had listened to her. There are many things I would have done differently and a lot of pain I would have saved myself from. I now know that everything will fall into place when it needs to and I am so okay with that.

3. Respect

“Be respectful,” is the phrase that I have heard ever since I was a little girl, wether it was from my kindergarten teacher or my grandma, I remember hearing those words over and over again. However, I had never understood the meaning of respect until my mother explained it to me. She always reminded me to treat people the way I wanted to be treated. To have respect for myself and not let anybody bring me down. She has always told me, “If you have nothing nice to say, do not say it at all,” and this piece of advice has saved me from hurting those who I love the most.

It is a blessing to be raised by a mother who has given her life to her family. To have a woman guide you with morals and teach you that you can always be better.

So to my mother, thank you for allowing me to be myself. To love fiercely. And most importantly, for letting me love you.

Nathaly is a twenty-something communications major at FIU. She's obsessed with learning how to be her own hero and believes in the healing power of a good conversation and a cup of coffee.