books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

3 Easy Snacks for Finals Week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Finals week, in other words “Hell week”, has finally stumbled upon all of us this year. This is the week where sleep and energy get thrown out the window and all your time is spent on studying. Cooking food throughout the week is probably the least of your concerns when it comes to trying to pass your class, but we still need to eat to keep us going. While spending hours on hours in the library, it is important to remember to bring some snacks to keep your body and mind nourished. Here are three, easy and quick snack ideas to make at home, saving money and time throughout finals week!

Chia Pudding

Chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 and provide other valuable nutrients. The chia pudding should be made the night before needed. Chia pudding usually contains chia seeds and a sweet type of milk, such as, vanilla almond milk or coconut milk. In a bowl or container, pour some of the milk and chia seeds in the same container and place it in the refrigerator overnight to allow the chia seeds to soak up the milk. By the next morning you will have a prepared chia pudding! I personally add berries and sliced almonds to my chia pudding, but feel free to have it plain or in any way your heart desires. To pack it as a snack, all you need is a jar or container that will prevent any leaks and an ice pack to keep it cold. If you are unsure about the chia seeds to milk ratio, click this link to get an idea of how much to use.

Trail Mix

Trail mix may not always seem like the most interesting snack, but it is super easy to customize.  Trail mix is a perfect snack because you can put anything in it and requires minimal amount of effort. Adding nuts and seeds, dried fruit, and dark chocolate are great staples to any trail mix. Nuts and seeds are rich in fiber, fat, and protein which will allow you to feel fuller for a longer amount of time. Dried fruits are convenient as they do not need to be refrigerated and provide fiber, as well as potassium. Dark chocolate is my favorite part of trail mix, not only is it a source of antioxidants, but it just nourishes your soul throughout those long hours of studying. Here are some other interesting suggestions to put in your trail mix: marshmallows, pretzels, and popcorn.

Banana and nut butter sandwich

The name of this snack is rather self-explanatory as to what the snack contains. All you need is some of your favorite nut butter, a banana, and bread. This is one of my favorite snacks because it keeps you full for a good amount of time and pleases both the sweet and savory tooth. You can put as much nut butter and banana slices on the bread, you may even feel free to toast the bread prior to putting on the toppings! This can be done quickly in the morning to take with you to campus or can even be enjoyed as part of your breakfast.

Trying to balance work, classes, assignments, and personal life is always hard do, but during finals season it almost seems impossible. These easy snack ideas should fit into any students busy schedule and still be tasty.

Gabriella Durand is a senior at Florida International University pursuing her Bachelor’s Degree in Dietetics and Nutrition. When not in class, she can be found at club meetings, participating in campus events, or hanging around campus studying with friends. Her goal is to become a Registered Dietitian, but her passions extend to art, fashion, makeup, and food.