You HAVE to see Sweeney Todd before it leaves Broadway for good

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

You don’t want to miss out on this one…. trust me. Money comes back, but memories don’t! Just buy the tickets and sit back to enjoy one of Broadway’s most praiseworthy shows!!!

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street may just be the best Broadway show I’ve ever seen and I’m no easy critic. If you’re unfamiliar, Sweeney Todd is a musical thriller set in 19th century London following the story of a barber and his murderous rampage out to seek revenge. Starring Aaron Tveit and Sutton Foster, who do a miraculous job of bringing every scene to life.

Not only is Aaron Tveit absolutely gorgeous but his range of emotion whilst playing a murderous serial killer barber is one to be admired. Todd is set to be unpredictable, his character is beyond mentally damaged and Tveit completely BODIES this role. His voice is flawless and he makes you feel every ounce of emotion as if it were your own. But Sutton, I believe, was made for her role as Mrs.Lovett. Charasmastic and hilarious as she is, no one could have played her better. If you see the show, you’ll get what I’m talking about as soon as you see her first scene. Foster acts with such passion all while making you laugh the whole time, her vocal range, ESPECIALLY her soprano is phenomenal, and her facial expressions are unbeatable.

Along with the flawlessly casted actors, the lighting of the show was incredible. I’ve never seen anything like it. Red strobe lights depicting fires, shadows cast along the whole theatre, gray ghostly white combined with deep blues and smoke machines to capture the mysterious dark allies of London, all of it was done so intricately.

And another noteworthy thing that should make every Broadway show worth it, is the vocals, not just of the leading characters but the entire cast. Deep altos combined with ridiculously high sopranos as loud as they can sing, gives off such a bone chilling affect, perfectly suited for this tale. I was in shock how good all the vocals sounded together and the overlaps of different characters telling their story even more.

It was just breathtaking. From the talented actors to the unique story line, this show is truly unforgettable.

Hi! I'm Ella and I'm an AMC major at FIT. Some of my favorite things to do include writing, film, makeup, traveling, and going to concerts.