Why “‘tis the damn season” is the Ultimate Winter Break Song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

When Taylor Swift released evermore, she gave us all our very own winter break anthem. Being home for the holidays makes it perfectly acceptable to only be listening to “‘tis the damn season.” This song perfectly tells the tale of a person who is rekindling a spark with someone from their hometown. It gives us all the nostalgic feels as we’re spending time in our old rooms and reminiscing about the years that have passed.

Here are 3 fictional relationships that capture everything this song is about:

1. Marianne and Connell from Normal People

“And it always leads to you in my hometown”

The television series and novel Normal People follows Marianne and Connell from high school to college and eventually into their early adult years. As the chapters go on, their lives move forward, but they always find themselves drawn back to each other no matter how much time passes.

2. Jess and Rory from Gilmore Girls

“And the road not taken looks real good now”

This relationship is the classic case of the right person, wrong time. Whenever one of them was ready for the other, something always seemed to get in the way. In the show’s revival, Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life, it’s clear that Jess was continuing to pine over Rory all those years later, wondering what could’ve been if things just worked out between them.

3. Luke and Lorelai from Gilmore Girls

“And wonder about the only soul who can tell which smiles I’m faking”

In a show about a small town, of course there is going to be more than one couple that relates to “‘tis the damn season.” Luke and Lorelai went through fights and breakups, but in the end, always knew they were right for each other.

Although “‘tis the damn season” is not technically a holiday song, Taylor Swift fans can still easily relate it to the familiar feeling of your hometown during winter break. This time of year has so many of us reconnecting with the past, just like our favorite characters do.

Jacqueline is the Editor-in-Chief and Vice President of Her Campus at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC. She is graduating with a BS in Advertising and Marketing Communications and a minor in English. When she's not writing or reading, you can find her watching early 2000s rom-coms and listening to Taylor Swift.