Which Saw movie is actually the best?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

In honor of the new Saw X movie that was released in theaters on September 29th, and as a horror movie lover and connoisseur, here is my opinion on the best Saw movie. Obviously, if you don’t like gore or suspense, please don’t watch any of the Saw movies. Disclosure, I won’t be going into depth about anything like that either.

Saw

The classic. The introduction of paying for your sins through punishment. It makes you think, okay this is obviously insane but he’s kinda justifying it… The first movie is basically the intro to everything, as every movie is. The motives, the case, the suspense. Oh my god pay attention to the characters. The infamous reverse bear trap just shows up in every single one cause that’s just the staple icon. The acting kind of threw me off, and it pretty much stays like that through every movie.

Rating: 8/10

Saw II

This one was pretty crazy. It really had me like who was in the wrong, who did what, and why and when. A lot of questions. Now you see why I said to pay attention to the characters. The whole movie is basically a group of 8 in an abandoned house trying to survive traps. There was one scene that did make me like audibly say “ow”, that was it. There are a lot of plot twists which is expected for the saw movies. Most of the time people expect sequels to either be horrible or better than the first, like Cars 2, but this one earned its place.

Rating: 8.5/10

Saw III

Like I said before the acting was okay. The twist and turns. omg. very cool. quite suspenseful. This movie is kind of the catalyst for a lot of the plot. I’m rating this one an 8.5/10 for gore. So be careful with this one. I will say though, that Jigsaw (the guy who makes all the traps) claims that all the traps are made to be able to survive. But there was one that was extremely unfair so he’s a liar.

Rating: 7/10

Saw IV

If you’ve gotten this far, at this point you’re like what is going on?? The thing about these movies is that it’s moderately confusing to follow which will show up again in other movies. A lot of the time you’re trying to figure out who’s actually setting up the traps and kidnapping people, which they always show at some point in the movie who it was. It gets to the point where it becomes repetitive, like Scooby doo. There is a monster, they investigate, set up a trap, and catch the bad guy. It also reminds me of the Scream movies, like that cycle of killers. Watch it and you’ll see what I mean. Also, this one did kinda spook me a little.

Rating: 7/10

Saw V

The guy in this movie gets on my nerves. I’m not gonna specify cause I don’t want to spoil anything. This movie pretty much reinforces what I said before about this having a similarity to the Scream movies. This one also featured a group of 5 or 6 I believe, that also annoyed me. I’m very much the person who yells at the TV telling the person in the scary movie not to be an idiot and not to investigate. So to see them make dumb decisions was irritating. The acting was a bit better as they had bigger named actors in this movie, but overall it was pretty good.

Rating: 7.5/10

Saw VI

This one was pretty interesting, it really makes you question yourself. Almost like that one puzzle where a train is coming and on the track is your grandma and on the opposite track is a lovely group of people, and the question is. With you in control of the lever, where are you going to let the train go? That this entire movie summed up. The entire series actually.

Rating: 7/10

Saw VII

First off the beginning is crazy. I audibly gasped especially since it wasn’t something we’ve seen before, in this case, a trap displayed out in public. Insane. This featured some cool traps, and not trying to sound like a John Kramer enthusiast but that’s the only reason people watch these movies. And once again the reverse bear trap, the directors love it. Remember when I said to pay attention to the characters, yeah, yeah! FULL CIRCLE.

Rating: 8/10

Jigsaw

When I tell you how absolutely confused I was. I thought I knew what was going on but then suddenly I was wrong? I was trying to line up the events in my head and it still wasn’t making sense until it was explained for less than a minute towards the end. I think the acting got better but this one wasn’t my favorite.

Rating: 5/10

I still have Spiral and Saw X to rate but unfortunately, I haven’t seen them, and I’m not going to rent them for $3.99. In my expert opinion however, with Saw II being rated the highest on my list, out of the ones I’ve watched, I declare it the best Saw movie of the series.

Hi I'm Azalea, I'm from Southern California and now I'm attending school in New York. I've always had an interest for fashion which is what brought me to the city but I've also always had a thing for writing. Writing is such a fun way to project ideas and thoughts that you want to share with others or even yourself and for me it makes me think. I love reading and writing things that make me think and wonder. My favorite genre of books are horror and mystery. I plan on writing more about fashion, lifestyle, some food for thought articles and whatever peaks my interest.