This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Around the holidays, I wanted to get on the TikTok trend as it was becoming extremely popular. I wasn’t quite sure what it was, or what I was getting myself into, but I downloaded it as a joke to see what the hype was about. Within days, I could not get myself off the app. I found myself laughing endlessly, staying up hours beyond my normal bed time, and constantly thinking about my saved videos.

As the momentum kept building and I was falling even more into the trap, I started making TikToks with friends. They were not super good ones, but they were fun to make in the moment, and it was content I was happy with and could look back on someday.

TikTok Body Image
Photo by You X Ventures on Unsplash
Fast forward to the present day, I am still constantly on TikTok and it has become quite problematic. I can not get as much work done as I used to be able to, because I am sucked in to watching each video and learning new dances to stay on trend. 

The real question is if TikTok can become an addiction. After doing some research, the answer is yes. There are several reasons behind this. First, it has to do with the content itself, as it is always so entertaining and there is something new to see every single second. Also, the app is easily accessible since you can use it anywhere at any time. But most importantly, the algorithm of the videos. On average you can watch around 10 videos in just 2-3 minutes. These videos are so short it almost makes you believe you are saving time and being efficient, compared to watching a lengthy YouTube video or a TV show. 

To be honest, I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but all I know is I am happy and hysterically laughing everytime I open the app! 

Alexis Kalil is a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology studying Fashion Business Management and English. In her free time, she enjoys thrifting, photography, watching Netflix, and traveling.