conrad in the summer i turned pretty season 2
Erika Doss/Prime Video

The Revelation of “Baby Girl”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

“Baby girl” has been a term going around for a while now to describe the attractiveness of a tall and grown man. Usually, if the man is a good-looking celebrity who has a sweet smile but looks manly overall, it is referred to as that term. This is because of the way they act and portray themselves in the public eye or on the screen. For example, Jacob Elordi has been called “Baby girl” many times because he looks manly on the outside but is a softie on the inside with his pretty style, the way he laughs, his eye contact, and how he presents himself in the media. Many girls go as far as placing a little bow sticker on his pictures and captioning it “Sometimes, baby girl is a fully grown man”. 

Real life men aren’t the only ones who can be “Baby girl”. No, the term is also associated with fictional characters. For example, Bucky Barnes, who is a fictional character from the Marvel movies is someone that hates people, seen as lonely, big, and scary. However, fans love to portray him as “Baby girl” because he “must be protected at all costs”. Harry Styles is also an example of “Baby girl” as he’s someone who has large, toned muscles and looks quite manly, but gives off cutesy vibes that makes him fit into that category. Pedro Pascal and Oscar Isaac are two celebrities that are also called “Baby girl” because of the way they act on and off screen, but to the blind eye, they’re seen as tall, handsome, beefy men. Fandoms call the masculine, burly, grumpy looking men the “Baby girls” since they think of them as emotionally tortured, brooding, and mysterious, but use that word to show off that deep down, they are the opposite. It is even better for them when their “Baby girls” play melancholic, dangerous, and submissive characters who have soft spots or traits that make them appealing. “He’s just baby girl, it’s okay”

In this day and age, it’s essential to look at the kind and approaching qualities fictional characters and celebrity males can offer. While on the outside, they may seem mean and dark, women try to look past that and find the traits that make the men open their sweet side they don’t show to anyone else, or when they are in a position where they seem vulnerable. Like in movies, TV shows, and books, the characters could literally be a Mafia lord or some serial killer, but if it’s for good reason or they are protecting their loved ones, the bad characteristics are overlooked because the good ones make them “Baby girl”. It shows how women always look for the best in people and are willing to push aside controversial differences in order to be able to understand the deeper, closed-off level of men. 

“Baby girl” has many different analyses to how it can be defined, but overall, the term applies to usually meaty men who aren’t as tough as they look mentally, and are okay with being in touch with their emotional side and femininity. 

Aneesha is a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology studying Advertising and Marketing Communications focusing on journalism.