This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Since breaking into the music industry in 2014 with their hit single, She Looks So Perfect, Australian band 5 Seconds of Summer has dominated the scene. Tomorrow, Luke Hemmings, Calum Hood, Ashton Irwin, and Michael Clifford will release their fifth studio album, 5SOS5. Let’s take a look back at the band so far and how the four men have come into their own in the crazy industry.

2012

The band released their first EP, Somewhere New, in 2012. The EP featured songs that have become classics among fans like Unpredictable, Out of My Limit, and Beside You. The songs on the EP gave fans a taste of the fun, pop-punk sound that the band would carry for their first few years.

2012 was also the year when the band was discovered by One Direction member, Louis Tomlinson on YouTube. This led to them opening for One Direction on the Take Me Home tour in 2013.

2014

2014 was a big year for the band. They released their first studio album, 5 Seconds of Summer, on June 27, 2014, under Capital Records. This album continued the pop-punk style with clear influences from bands like Green Day, and All Time Low.

2015

5SOS released their second album, Sounds Good Feels Good, on October 23, 2015. While this album still carried on aspects of the pop-punk genre, there was definitely more of an alternative influence. The first single off of the album, She’s Kinda Hot, introduced fans to the alt-rock sounds that would shine through in the album.

2016

In 2016, the band took their new album on tour with “Sounds Live Feels Live.” This tour marked their first headline show at Madison Square Garden with a sold-out show on July 15, 2016. The band also released the single, Girls Talk Boys for the 2016 movie, Ghostbusters.

2018

After two years with no new music, 5 Seconds of Summer exploded back into the scene with Want You Back, the first single off of their third album, Youngblood. In contrast to their previous sound, this song was all pop and no punk, symbolizing a real turning point for the band and their sound. The album was released on June 18, 2018, and peaked at Number 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. The song, Lie To Me, was also released as a single featuring Julia Michaels.

Another accomplishment from this year was the band recording a cover of Killer Queen by Queen for the 2018 film, Bohemian Rhapsody.

2020

Right when the COVID-19 pandemic was beginning, 5SOS released its fourth album, CALM. Featuring hit songs like Easier, Teeth, and No Shame, CALM was an album that further solidified their new sound. The album is a favorite among fans and one with that the band felt a very personal connection.

2021

In 2021, the band celebrated its 10th anniversary. With the anniversary, they released the song 2011, a song very reminiscent of their old style. They also released “The 5 Seconds of Summer Show – A 10 Year Celebration,” an hour-long show full of performances and skits.

2022

In 2022, 5SOS announced its fifth studio album, 5SOS5. The singles include Complete Mess, Take My Hand, Me, Myself & I, Blender, and Older. This album is written completely by the band and produced by guitarist, Michael Clifford. The members have said that this album is the most personal one to date. Tomorrow, September 23, 2022, the album will be released.

Jools is a senior at FIT majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with a minor in writing. She is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at FIT.