Style > Fashion

Loving Him Was… Fall 2023’s Hottest Color

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

This season, one hue is, without a doubt, dominating the runways and the streets. From tomato to cherry to maroon, red has taken the fashion world by storm this autumn season.

12DaysofHC 2021 Day4 Slide2?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

While the color has obviously been a classic in fashion for ages, it’s seeing a resurgence in popularity for this fall season, especially after multiple major designers incorporated red into their fall collections. From Stella McCartney’s cherry red wool blazer design to an iconic red loafer from Ferragamo, there is no doubt that the hue is here to stay this season. In fact, Sabato de Sarno’s Gucci debut at Milan Fashion Week even introduced a new signature shade for the brand, fittingly titled Gucci Rosso.

The color’s resurgence also coincides with a time period in which Taylor Swift is dominating the music industry and pop culture as a whole. Fans, affectionately called “Swifties,” are especially fond of Swift’s re-recorded albums, which are being released as “Taylor’s Version.” Her second album re-release, “Red (Taylor’s Version),” was met with an overwhelming response from Swifties across the globe when it came out in November of 2021. The album was deemed to have an autumnal vibe, with many of the lyrics making seasonal references. With Taylor currently on top of the music world and the fall season being in full swing, it’s no surprise that her signature color is the trendiest of the season.

There’s a long and vibrant history behind the color red. The shade has been known to symbolize energy, passion, love, and joy. In fact, studies have even shown that wearing red can boost one’s confidence and self-esteem. Furthermore, its unique versatility is a trait that is unmatched by other colors; the color complements most skin tones and can be incorporated into multiple different personal styles and aesthetics. You can never miss with a striking red dress or a bright red mini bag, as the color carries the same timeless charm no matter what form you wear it in.

So, this fall, try reaching for that red-hot blazer you thought you’d never wear. Even if you aren’t ready to commit to a head-to-toe scarlet ensemble, you can incorporate the trending hue into your outfits more subtly, such as adding ruby red jewelry or a touch of crimson lipstick. However you wear your red, donning the color is always sure to capture the essence of the fall season, while maintaining a sense of style and elegance.

Alyssa is from Southern California and is currently studying Advertising & Marketing Communications at Fashion Institute of Technology in New York. She is interested in pursuing a career in fashion journalism, social media, or public relations. In her free time, she enjoys styling outfits, shopping, dancing, and baking.