This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Costumes, trick-or-treating, pumpkin carving, and haunted houses – it’s that time of the year again when Halloween is upon us! While traditionally a hallmark of the United States, Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom, Halloween has worked its spell on various corners of the world. In recent years, this holiday has surged in popularity and made a presence worldwide. Many other regions and countries have embraced Halloween in their own unique ways, often blending local traditions with the classic Halloween spirit. From large festivities to small local affairs, here’s a quick glimpse into how Halloween is celebrated around the globe!

Japan

In Japan, Halloween is a vibrant celebration embraced by teenagers and young adults. Street parties, parades, and costume contests take center stage. Unlike some countries, there’s no trick-or-treating in Japan, as showing up unannounced at someone’s doorstep is considered impolite.

Australia

Down under, Halloween is making its mark. Children go trick-or-treating, while adults enjoy costume contests. They’ve even conjured up their unique tradition – the “Great Pumpkin Carnival” in Queensland.

Germany

Germans have a deep love for celebrating the arrival of autumn and Halloween. The scene includes grand celebrations, autumn festivals, pumpkin parades, and adults revel in nightclubs.

Sweden

Halloween in Sweden is referred to as “All Saints Day” and always falls on a Saturday. Meaning most of the time the holiday takes place in November. The celebration is mainly for children and teenagers, and features ghost parties, lighting lanterns, and running around scaring their neighborhoods.

Mexico

Mexico holds their own holiday at a similar time as Halloween. They have a grand celebration known as Día de los Muertos or the Day of the Dead. Families honor departed loved ones by creating ofrendas, which are special offerings for the deceased.

Philippines

The Philippines celebrate the day dressing up, partying, and trick-or-treating. After Halloween, they collect candles, flowers, and picnic supplies to pay respects to departed loved ones at the cemeteries.

China

In China, there’s a distinct festival called the “Ghost Festival” celebrated during the 7th month of the lunar calendar. Chinese culture believes that during this festival, the gate to the ghost world opens, allowing spirits to wander the human realm.

South Korea

While Halloween is far from South Korean traditions, the people enjoy the idea of dressing up, playing with fashion, and embracing costumes. This means lots of costume parties all over the country!

Taiwan

Halloween, known as the “Million Spirits Festival” in Taiwan, caters mostly to children and families. One of the biggest events is “Zoolloween,” hosted by the Taipei Zoo. It’s an event that merges spooky festivities with raising awareness for animals.

France

Halloween isn’t as much of a sensation here as in some other places, but kids still get in on the fun by carving pumpkins, dressing in costumes, and trick-or-treating.

It’s beautiful to see so many countries and cultures celebrate Halloween, and bring their own unique tradition to the bewitching holiday!

Hi! My name is Lindsey! I am a second-year student at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC, where I study Fashion Business Management. As well as being a student I am also a retail sales associate at Aviator Nation.