A Definitive Ranking of the Hunger Games Men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

HUNGER GAMES IS BACK!!!!! My 12-year-old self has never felt such pure nostalgia than when it came to watching The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. This franchise, as for millions of other fans around the world, shaped my personality for years. I fell in love with the books, the movies, the characters, and I was for sure one of the biggest Hunger Games Stans to exist. From the Katniss poster that hung in my room to the hundreds of edits saved on my TikTok and Instagram, the Hunger Games world truly captivated me in ways no other series could. As large as the fandom is, it’s no secret that the men are FINE in both their personalities and their looks. So as any fangirl would do, I’ve decided to rank all the Hunger Games men from the absolute worst to the best of the best. Follow along to see if you agree!

• #17 Marvel Sanford: This probably comes as a shock to no one. Marvel had everyone balling their eyes out after he killed Rue and the fact that he was already such an irrelevant character only makes me hate him more.
  • #16 Old President Snow: Now Before anyone comes for me, I’m saying the OLD PRESIDENT SNOW. After Lucy Gray, it’s safe to say President Snow became heartless for life and took it out on Katniss and other children from the districts. You would really think by his elder 80s, he’d healed from his situationship so long ago, but nope, not him.
  • #15 Cato: Cato was unlikable from the start. Cocky, obnoxious, arrogant. The only part where I felt anything else toward him was his death scene where he became vulnerable and showed some of his weak side, proving how inhumane and traumatizing the Games were, even for him.
  • #14 Sejanus Plinth: Most people would disagree with this but honestly I don’t get the Sejanus hype. I liked him in the book, but in the movie he just annoyed me the whole time, doing stupid thing after stupid thing without thinking, putting other people’s lives in danger. I won’t give any spoilers but he was definitely not my favorite.
  • #13 Plutarch Heavensbee: He helped save Katniss from the Quarter Quell and was a Commander rebel in District 13 so he slays. Overall though, there’s nothing that special about him.
  • #12 Beetee Latier: I loved Beetee. He was smart, humble, resourceful, and probably one of the most sane tributes. I would make him higher on the list but the other men are just simply better.
  • #11 Pollux: Pollux is probably the most underrated character in the whole series. Him and Katniss had such a sweet, unique bond and their friendship was absolutely adorable.
  • #10 Gale Hawthorne: I actually really liked Gale in the books until he offed Prim so I have mixed feelings about him. He gets #10 though because let’s be real, he’s gorgeous.
  • #9 Boggs: Boggs is criminally underrated!!! He’s one of the only people in District 13 that made Katniss feel safe and protected. He was professional and loyal as Commander in 13 and I especially remember loving him in the books.
  • #8 Thresh Morrowson: Thresh was the epitome of a gentle giant. He was always trying to protect Rue and even let Katniss go when he could’ve killed her because he respected her for trying to do the same. We love Thresh.
  • #7 Caesar Flickerman: What else is there to say other than ICON. Stanley Tucci DEVOURED this role and Caesar brings the perfect amount of comic relief to everyone.
  • #6 Lucretius Lucky Flickerman: Right when I thought there couldn’t be anyone more iconic than Caesar, Lucretius Lucky Flickerman proved me wrong. MY GOD. He was hilarious and his “those drones don’t work very well” killed me. I would actually go to a comedy show if it were hosted by him.
  • #5 Young Snow: It was known that when Snow was young he had a big heart. But who would’ve known how FINE he is? Young Snow is a revolution in itself. I have never seen so many people fangirling over a psychopath before but I don’t blame them. He’s everything and more.
  • #4 Cinna: Cinna was the only person in the capital who treated Katniss like a person (minus Peeta), and for that I love him. He wore his heart on his sleeve and created the most flawless looks for Katniss, eating every single time.
  • #3 Haymitch Abernathy: Love Love Love. I’m dying for a Haymitch backstory movie/book because he’s truly one of the most complex characters and doesn’t get enough screen time. Also, his past isn’t talked about enough and I’m curious what he was like at Katniss’s age. He was basically a second father to her and I shipped him and Effie so hard. I’ll be a Haymitch Stan for life.
  • #2 Peeta Mellark: Let’s face it, we all want a Peeta in our lives. He’ll comfort you until you fall asleep, gift you pearls, sacrifice his life for you, bake you bread, and lift you effortlessly. His favorite color is orange like the sunset. He is the cutest gem ever and by far the most selfless character in the whole series. I absolutely adore Peeta Mellark.
  • #1 Finnick Odair: Ladies and gents, we all knew this was coming. I fell in love with Finnick in the books and then on screen, oh my god, the producers couldn’t have done a better job at casting him. He’s charming, flawlessly gorgeous, and just perfect. Throughout everything he’s loyal to Annie, he saves Peeta’s life and does everything he can to protect Katniss during the rebellion. I would die for a man like Finnick in my life and I think everybody can say the same.
Hi! I'm Ella and I'm an AMC major at FIT. Some of my favorite things to do include writing, film, makeup, traveling, and going to concerts.