As summer comes to another end, the fashion world prepares for the storm ahead. Waves of editors, buyers, bloggers, photographers and attendees flood fashion capitals around the world for Spring 2013 Fashion Week. Of course, the question on everyone’s mind is: what do I wear? So, here are seven golden rules to follow when putting together your outfit.
1) Wearing the designer is not mandatory unless you’re loaded and can actually afford to be decked out in designer. If not, you don’t need to drop several figures on your outfit. Start by shopping from your own closet and accessorize (a la Olivia Palermo). Also, don’t forget to check out etsy.com, vintage stores, and closets of friends and family. However, if you are tempted to spend a little extra, make sure that your investment is worth it in the long run. One last note – stay away from knockoffs. It does not honor the designer in any way, shape or form.
2) Make sure it fits! Forget trying to look like you belong in a fashion magazine and make sure your clothes are flattering and tailored to your own body. This means no loose threads, excess fabric, stains, etc. You should be comfortable enough so that you’re not swallowed up or suffocated by your outfit. If you’re comfortable than your confidence will be the absolute best accessory.
3) Don’t forget the essentials—your bag is a major part of your outfit, but what would you be without your necessities? Don’t forget your trusted sunnies, wallet (with I.D. and cash!), watch, sanitizer (germs EW!), water, powder, lip stain (it’s longer lasting than lipstick), phone (instagram!), camera, hair ties, business card, gum, sweater, and scrunchable flats.
4) Timing is everything. The time of the show is so important. Night shows are generally fancier than day shows. How ridiculous would it look if you wore an overly embellished cocktail dress to a 9AM show? Monitor the glitz and glam that goes into the outfit and cater it to the time of day.
5) Go easy on the heels…or not. The majority of fashion show attendees don their most fabulous pair of high heels. More often than not, fabulous heels are basically code for torture weapons. If you are one of those who value comfort a little more than the high heel addicts, try a wedge or platform shoe. Otherwise, add gel inserts for comfort and scuff the soles with sandpaper to make sure you won’t slip. Best of luck!
6) Black, black, and uh…black! THIS MEANS YOU VOLUNTEERS! Your job as a volunteer does not require you to look fancy; just polished and work-ready. In fact, you may also want to consider wearing heels more suited to running around (or even a pair of nice flats). For those planning on sneaking in, wearing black is the easiest way to gain entry. As for the rest of people who are lucky enough to attend but unlucky enough that you can’t decide what to wear, black is the quickest way to look chic and fashion show ready. Mix different fabrics and textures to see what you come up with!
7) CONFIDENCE! This is the time to have that I-don’t-give-a-crap attitude. As long as you wear your outfit with pride, who is that snobby girl to say that it’s ugly? If you lack confidence, fake it! Stand tall and throw your shoulders back! Forget the haters and bask in your own style. Enjoy the experience and stop fretting over whether your shoes are too last season.
Most importantly, have a great time! Sound off in the comments below about your NYFW adventures!