This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

1. You’ve never been to a frat party/sorority social!

Unless you go to NYU or Columbia, Greek life is not a priority at schools in NYC and definitely not at FIT. There are no “houses” to host the members nor is there a priority to party when you’re so focused on your future!

2. You can barely afford your groceries

Living in NYC is so expensive! If you live in Manhattan, you know the struggle of barely being able to buy the groceries you need because everything is so expensive. You know you’re being scammed when they try charging you $8 for a box of cereal!

3. The commute to class is a struggle

Around 75% of FIT students commute from the surrounding boroughs of New York, as well as New Jersey and Long Island. From trains to buses, students spend hours of their day working their way into the city. That’s some dedication!

4. Making and keeping friends can be as hard as getting an internship!

Since FIT is made up of mostly commuters, it’s hard to make friends when everyone is coming and going! It can be hard to set time aside to see everybody when we’re all so busy and live so far from each other. On the other hand, some students are super competitive which can come off as them being super cold and unapproachable.

5. This school and the NYC culture forces you to have your life together!

Going to college in NYC, especially at FIT, is an entirely different experience. The busy workaholic and “hustle” environment of NYC really motivates you to have yourself and your goals figured out because you won’t make it in this city if you don’t! This can be stressful but extremely rewarding.

I’m a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with double minors in Psychology and Film & Media Studies! I'm a coffee addict, makeup fanatic and a true Long Islander! If I’m not in class, I’m usually watching movies as I dream of working in the film industry!