Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix

5 Lessons I learned from Watching Gilmore Girls for the first time

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.
  1.  Never be Ashamed to Ask for Help 

Lorelai Gilmore was a very independent woman but she also needed to ask for help sometimes which is a normal part of life. Even if it was going to the Independence Inn after Rory was born or asking her parents for money to help her daughters future. She didn’t want to always ask for the help but in the end it paid off. I think we should take this lesson from Lorelai Gilmore and never be ashamed to ask for help if you know it will help you. 

1. Prioritize Education

Rory Gilmore was one of the smartest young ladies. She excelled in her public high school and got the opportunity to attend Chilton which she ended up top of her class. She had the drive for education and always put it first which I admire about her. Even when she had her ups and downs at Yale she still continued to get her degree. I think everyone could learn a lesson from Rory Gilmore and prioritize their education. 

1. Coffee is your Best Friend

If there’s one thing that the Gilmore Girls do in every episode is have some coffee. Are they a little addicted to it? Absolutely, but for those working girls they need all the caffeine they can get. They are not themselves without coffee but who doesn’t love a good cup of coffee when you have a busy day ahead of you.    

1. It is Okay to Sit at Home and Watch Tv

One thing Lorelai and Rory bonded over was sitting on the couch and watching TV or a movie together. I found this to be very important because almost everyone experiences FOMO in their lives and watching some of your favorite characters relaxing watching TV or a movie shows that you can do that too. You don’t always have to be doing something. It is okay to relax. Rory excelled in school and still let herself sit and watch TV when she probably was stressed about something else she had to do. It is so important to take relaxing time for yourself and I love how Gilmore Girls  showed this. 

1. Always Treat Yourself 

The way to the Gilmore Girls heart is through food. They are always ordering food out if it’s pizza, Chinese food, ice cream, or even at Luke’s. The girls always know how to treat themselves with a good meal which I look up to. I think it is important to always treat yourself with some good food or a little sweet treat. 

If you haven’t watched Gilmore Girls, I totally recommend it! It was one of the best shows I have ever watched. This show made me feel like I actually knew the characters and could see into their lives. Now onto Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.

I am a student at the Fashion Institute of Technology majoring in Fashion Business Management. I love fashion, beauty, and exploring new places. Living in New York City there is always something new to explore. My favorite musician is Taylor Swift!