Career

4 Women Owned Organizations/Businesses as Inspirations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Starting up a new company is difficult for all. But being a woman makes it much more challenging in this society. The challenge is what makes these women stronger to fight all the obstacles and get to their goal. These are 4 companies/businesses founded and led by women which will inspire you to never give up. One thing that all these founders have in common is that they don’t only move forward alone; they teach the future generation and lead them to move forward together.

Spoken Flames

This is a small business founded and run by Shavaun Christian. She has been recognized as innovative approach to self-care and creating this brand for sensory candles. In her busy life, she found a solution to take a break and connect to all parts of her. In her story, she describes how she turned to candles as a way of self-care when life was too hectic. But she didn’t stop there. She decided to turn this solution into something bigger that could help more people. She started making these candles with many different organic products based off different problems people might be going through, such as, stress, anxiety, depression etc. Different ingredients has impact on different problems. These candles let people connect with their inner selves using the five senses because of its crackling sound, golden shimmer, amazing smell, and its affirmations with the AR effects (on instagram). Learn more on: https://spokenflames.com/

Baseline Co.

This company is founded by 2 women and currently run by them and another person who joined later on. Echo Lu Chang is the CEO and one of the co-founders. These two women came up with this digital solution for women based off their own pain points. Every woman has their own stories. But they used theirs to help others. Their mission is helping women live a better and active life regardless of what the society puts in their way and their physical obstacles. 10% of every woman’s life is their period, which comes with so many other struggles. This company is constantly coming up with new, organic, and sustainable products for women to be a little more comfortable in life. For example, pads, workout friendly underwear, tampons (in progress) etc. Their plan is to create a place for women to log their period, symptoms, feelings, as well as earn money from their activity logs. Learn more on: https://www.mybaseline.co/

South Asian Youth Action

This is a 501(c)3 organization founded by Sayu Bhojwani. This is a place for New York City Immigrant Youth to get all sorts of support and help. She believed that there was a lack of resources for underprivileged youths and created this safe place for every ethnicity. This is culturally inspired and welcomes everyone. It started off as a small group in the basement of a church in Elmhurst, NY and over time expanded to so many more branches. Now they have locations in many different schools as well as their own cites. It covers from K-12 and even college students/alumni. SAYA helps youth with tutoring, educational trips, job openings, mock interviews, resume and cover letter sessions, job fairs, youth development games, SAT prep etc. And often they offer jobs to their alumni students as well to come back as a member. SAYA offers different scholarships as well. Learn more on: https://www.saya.org/

Visions Event Studio

This is a wedding planning company in Chicago founded by Jenée Strickland. Growing up, she was always around weddings since her father was a photographer for weddings. So, she decided to turn her passion and privilege into a job that she would love to pursue and teach. She takes every wedding, proposal, and the journey in between very personally and gets creative with each. She loves to treat her clients as a friend rather than on client so the bride and groom can be more comfortable and plan their happiest moments together. Jenée has been choosing her team in a teaching way where she hires interns both remotely and in person and teaches them every step holding their hands. Everyone gets to participate and use their creativity and if they want this to be their career path too, they get hired for permanent positions. And even if they don’t, still for the time being they get to learn so much and earn internship credits for their college. Learn more on: https://www.visionseventstudio.com/

Let these women guide you to become stronger and more independent everyday!

Hi, I’m in Advertising and Digital Design major at SUNY FIT. I got associate's in Communication Design Foundation here we well. I am an intern at Baseline Co. (femtech company) and 2ND Sight Experience (marketing agency). I love reading books, watching movies, exploring new places with friends, and taking pictures.