10 Ways To Keep Busy During Quarantine Without Technology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

We have been in quarantine for quite a while now, and I don’t know about you, but I have been going a bit stir crazy. There is only so much TV you can watch, however, there are so many other ways to keep busy. This is a great chance to try something new, or do all those things you were always too busy to do. 

1. Read

Hygge Header
Stella Rose on Unsplash
This may not be the most fun activity for some people, but if you find a topic that interests you, you will be surprised how much you just might like it! If you don’t want to stare at a screen, grab a hard copy book, sit back, and relax.

2. Painting

I am definitely no Vincent Van Gogh, but this is still a fun activity. There are so many different things that you can paint. The basic option would be a canvas or paper. If you want to get creative you can paint glasses, or even things around your house that need some touching up. This is a great activity that can take up 15 minutes or hours depending on the project you decide to take on. 

3. Puzzles

There are all different sizes and designs that you pick from. If you are a fan of the show Friends they are selling Friends themed puzzle on Amazon! If you enjoy some friendly competition, believe it or not you can get competitive while putting together a puzzle. Go grab two puzzles with the same amount of pieces and your quarantine buddy and see who can complete the puzzle first. 

4. Yoga

Photo by Carl Barcelo on Unsplash
It is important that you are staying healthy both physically and mentally. With everything that has been going on lately, it can be hard to stay positive at times. Yoga will help you clear your mind and get your body moving. This is a great way to quiet your mind and get some exercise at the same time. 

5. Try On Your Clothes

Trying on all your clothes can be a great activity for two reasons: 1) it can be fun! Turn on some music and have a mini fashion show 2) it can be an opportunity to get rid of some clothes that have been sitting in your closet for years. 

6. Knitting

Knitting might just be my favorite activity on this list! This may involve the use of some technology if you need to look up videos on how to learn. After you get the hang of it, it’s a perfect way to relax. Plus you can make a cute scarf or top depending how talented you are with some yarn and a needle. You can also make gifts for your friends and family. This will give them a little something to look forward to after quarantine.

7. Coloring Books

Coloring books were always a blast when we were younger so why should we stop? Barnes and Noble has a pretty great collection, and while you are at it, you can also order yourself a book to read. 

8. Dye Your Hair

hair dye
artursfoto via Pixabay
Dye your hair or cut those bangs! There is no better time to do it than now. Dye your hair pink or purple because you know it has crossed your mind at some point. On the plus side if you don’t like it, you aren’t leaving your house anyway. Who knows, you might just end up loving it!  

9. Go For Walks

With the nicer weather coming, staying inside can be hard. It is good to get out and stretch your legs. Make sure to grab your face mask and keep your distance if you come across other people. 

10. Start A Blog Or Make A YouTube Channel

MacBook Air on white desk beside gold-colored study lamp and spiral books
Arnel Hasanovic, Unsplash
This activity is breaking the no technology rule, but this isn’t your basic binge watching Netflix or scrolling through social media. Creating a blog or making YouTube videos is a fun way to share a topic that interests you. Who knows, you may just become a social media influencer.

Hope you liked one of these ideas or became inspired to do something you have always been “too busy” to do. Make sure if you don’t have the supplies to order them online so you are staying safe and healthy at home! 

Katie is studying Fashion Business Management at the Fashion Institute of Technology. In her free time you can find her shopping, exploring NYC or at the beach. Follow her on Instagram @KatieFlanagann_.