This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIDM LA chapter.

Lily Tate

Energy. It’s in the piano keys of your favorite song, it lights up your city at night. You can find it in your home and even in your pocket. While we know everything is energy, we often forget energy is within everything. After receiving a few seemingly random compliments on my energy and aura, I began to wonder about what makes each person’s frequency so unique? And how do you heighten your own? Here’s a guide on how to raise your vibration that doesn’t involve mediation, going to indie coffee shops or throwing your phone out the window. 

Music 

Music is energy in the form of sound, and one of my favorite pastimes. From the tune of the song to the tone of the singer’s voice, it carries an enlightening vibration. It’s important to find a genre or type of music that speaks to you specifically. Once you find your niche, this music can totally enthrall you and draw you in, making you lose track of time for hours. It can be a very relaxing and rejuvenating personal experience. 

Food 

Food also has frequencies. It’s been scientifically proven that healthier foods such as vegetables, almonds and other whole grains have higher frequencies. Sometimes it’s tempting to eat lower frequency foods like junk or fried food. Don’t worry, you can still have the fries, but if you want to heighten your aura, make sure to only indulge in moderation or opt for a healthier alternative. 

Kick coffee & make matcha 

Sure, coffee’s great; it gets you up in the morning, tastes good and certainly has its benefits. However, it often causes a midday caffeine crash. It can cause shakiness and even worsen anxiety in some cases. For college students and working adults, caffeine is sometimes necessary to get us through the day, but in this case, matcha can be a great alternative to coffee. It is caffeinated as well, but is not as strong or intense, therefore won’t make you jitter or deplete your energy midway through your day. 

Movement 

Movement is a great way to raise your spirits. Not everyone has two hours for the gym every day or has the motivation to work out, and that’s perfectly fine. Exercise can be any form of movement that you choose such as dance, yoga, or even stretching. Working out shouldn’t be something you dread. Just try moving for at least 10 minutes a day and you’ll start to feel yourself at a higher frequency, get your body flowing and improve your mood.

Cleanse / organize 

Your space is a reflection of you. If you feel stressed in your home, try cleaning and organizing. It can give you a sense of control because you’re the one who is responsible for the way it looks. It can be something small from dusting to rearranging cabinets or cleaning out your closet, but it can have a big effect on you. Your home is where you rejuvenate after a long day, and it is important for you to make sure that you create a space that allows you to reset and unwind.

Check your surroundings

Sometimes you need to take a good look at your life. Ask yourself truly, are your surroundings fueling you to become the best version of yourself? Or are you surrounding yourself with things/people that are hindering your potential? Make sure to look at your circle to ensure the people you surround yourself with are vibrating at the same positive frequency. It’s hard to allow yourself to shine when you’re being dulled by a negative source of energy. 

Crystals 

Whether you have them for home decor or believe in their energetic abilities, crystals are a great thing to have scattered around your home. They hold their own energy and can help you improve your own if you take the time to soak up all the good vibes.

Compliments 

You know that feeling you get when a random stranger compliments you? Even the smallest positive interaction has the power to change your aura and improve your mood. The next time you’re out for a walk, shopping at the store, or interacting with others in public, take the time to compliment a stranger and make them feel good. Kindness costs nothing and it can turn someone’s entire day around. 

Your phone… 

By no means am I telling you to chuck your phone out the window. Your phone can actually be a useful tool when it comes to improving your energy, as long as you know how to handle it properly. While the line between being on your phone and being present in the moment is incredibly thin, there is a way that you can manage it. Go through all forms of media on your phone with a fine-tooth comb. Go on Instagram and ask yourself if the people you are following are making you feel good. Does the content that you are engaging in inspire you to be more creative? Check in on who and what you’re watching and make sure that it adds value to your day. 

Vitamin D

Remember the serotonin you get after a long beach day on vacation? There’s no need to limit sun exposure to a few days a year. Try taking some time to go outside and soak up the sun more often. Vitamin D is essential in improving your mood and fueling your body to its healthiest possible state. While energy is found in many forms, we often forget that it can be found within ourselves.

Try incorporating some of these suggestions into your weekly routine. I can guarantee that it will boost your overall health and happiness. Not to mention, you’ll be receiving endless compliments on your energy in no time. Don’t be afraid to get out there and engage in some healthy habits!

Hi I’m Lexi and I’m a student at FIDM Los Angeles:) I’m so excited to be moving to downtown LA and meet all of the new people on campus who may want to get involved with the FIDM Her Campus Chapter!