Why Black Girls Rock!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Why do black girls rock? This was a question that went unanswered for years. Well, that was until Beverly Bond decided to provide us all with an answer. Her solution and answer to this question was the 2006 founding of Black Girls Rock!, a non-profit youth empowerment and mentoring organization that was established to promote the arts for young women of color. This organization helps young girls ages 12-17 through mentorship, arts education, cultural exploration, and public service. Beverly Bond, who began her career on the turntables, started this organization based on a t-shirt mantra that “became a movement,” according to a November 2010 article in Black Enterprise. “This is bigger than just a shirt,” said Bond in the interview, and from there she decided to start the mentoring program.

Black Girls Rock! includes programs such as college prep for high school juniors and seniors, writing workshops, empowerment sessions and the Queen’s Camp for Leadership and Excellence. The summer camp is a two-week intensive leadership program where through selected applicants gain intellectual support and gain the social skills necessary to in order to promote self-confidence, social development, and active leadership.

“I believe black girls rock because black women are the backbone of black society,” said Jordan Chaney, a 19 year-old Music Industry student from Covington, Georgia. “Their strength shows in the toughest of situations.”
But, Black Girls Rock! has become more than just a t-shirt and a program. Black Girls Rock! has truly become a movement. This program has given recognition to celebrities and everyday people who are positively impacting their community which motivates them to rock! Jalesia Bush, 23, a History Education student from Washington, D.C. said, “the Black Girls Rock! organization rocks because it’s continuing to recognize and empower black girls, and women throughout the African diaspora.”

The organization just hosted its 2nd Annual Black Girls Rock Awards on Sunday, November 6th. This year’s show was hosted by Regina King and Tracee Ellis Ross, and honored distinguished guests including, Angela Davis, Taraji P. Henson and Laurel J. Ritchie. Bond’s goal is to honor extraordinary African-American and other women of color across the globe who are inspirational and positive role models. The 2nd Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards aired on the BET network to audiences all over the country.

“Hopefully, this program will inspire other black women, young or old, to step out of the box and help change the world,” said Ciera Wimper, a Broadcast Journalism student from Conyers, Georgia.

“I am a black girl that rocks because I embrace myself worth, I have ambition, and I march to the beat of my own drum!,” said Jalesia Bush.

For more information on the program, please visit http://blackgirlsrockinc.com/live/.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.