Steven Pargett, ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Florida A&M Univeristy is known for its remarkable students, fashion, competitive academics, and countless clubs and organizations that are offered to students for campus involvement. But, one thing that often gets overlooked, is the small group of intellectual students. Many upperclassmen have experienced the fortunate opportunity to often be amongst the revolutionaries on campus, as HC FAMU likes to call them. They are FAMU’s Malcolm X’s, MLK’s, Angela Davis’, and Mahatma Gandhi’s. Though, that may sound like a far stretch, it isn’t. Many of them may have gone off to better places after graduating, but luckily, few remain. HC FAMU was fortunate enough to sit down with one of the intellects: Steven Pargett.

HC FAMU: Who are you? (literal and philosophical).
SP: My name is Steven J. Pargett. I am a passionate learner and determined creator. I’ve studied Public Relations and Psychology at Florida A&M University. I’m currently on break from school to focus on entrepreneurship and other goals.
I am a LION roaming the land looking for the highest cliff I can find to share my message and creations.

HC FAMU: Describe yourself in three words.
SP: A connector, creative, and understanding.

HC FAMU: What is your passion?
SP: I’m passionate about PEOPLE, COMMUNITY, and IDEAS. I believe that people are infinitely powerful on an individual level, and our potential is even greater when we work together. I believe that each person is born with passions, and that these passions birth ideas that can change the world. Just like a takes a village to raise a child, it often takes the dedication of a community to full birth these ideas and bring them to life.
There are many unfortunate limiting beliefs that many people carry today that inhibit them from believing in themselves, disconnect them from the people around them, and bring about a fear of creation, which is the only way to express our true selves.
I’m here to hold a mirror up so that humanity can come to understand it’s greatness, accept each other, and create a new world.
No more conformity.

HC FAMU: You recently left university for the semester to focus on your entrepreneurship. What do you hope to gain?:
SP: In short, I want to give tools to people and communities to express themselves and work together. I won’t get specific with my plans or ideas, but I hope to work with the people I love around me to create a better future for ourselves, and be a beacon of light that helps people to discover their own light.

HC FAMU: How did you get involved in the Occupy Tallahassee movement and what is your role?:
SP: I have some friends that are involved in Occupy with good hearts and sound minds. We’ve all seen Occupy Wall Street in New York and been inspired by people coming together and standing up for their beliefs.
I think that the true value of the Occupy movement is that it’s bringing people together into communities where they attempt to solve problems. They’re challenging systems that haven’t been performing well on the citizens of America’s behalf and it’s extremely important for us to come together and problem solve.
I have helped out with Design branch for Occupy Tallahassee in the past. They meet up every weekend at the Capitol and I would encourage everyone to go check it out at least once and talk to the people involved and see what you can learn.

HC FAMU: What advice can you give young people in regards to being successful?
SP: I have a quote written in my favorite notebook, it says: “Your inner knowing is your only true compass.”
I would encourage people who want to discover themselves, create and attain some level of success to go within first.
To be truly successful in the way that I believe that you were BUILT to be, you have to figure it out on your own. You have to understand who you are, what you’re passionate about, and what inspires you. You have to know what you’re good at and what you need others support for.
All of this self-discovery takes place over a long period of time, and it can be frustrating when you don’t know the answers right away, but I can assure that you’re on the right path if you’re asking the right questions.
The answers to those questions come in a lot of different ways. Be patient and receptive with all of the situations, people and conversations that you encounter.
I would encourage meditation, and some practice of reflection and recording thoughts and ideas like maintaing a journal.

HC FAMU: What legacy do you hope to leave behind?
SP: I hope that by how bold that I act that it empowers others to be themselves. The system that we have laid out for us is whack, and it tells you that the answer is to conform and keep your mouth shut. I say take pride in being an individual, because you’re here to do something that nobody else is capable of.
We’re all a part of a big puzzle, we just need to find out what our edges are like so we can see where we fit.
Thanks for this, it was a great experience reflecting on these questions.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.