Meet: Freshman Class President & Vice President, Chekier Barthley, ’16 & Tia Coleman, ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Freshman Class President & Vice-President, Chekier Barthley & Tia Coleman, are in a class of their own. Representing the Class of 2016, they are the first of a new Rattler generation. Stepping onto the Hill during a time where the Millennium Rattler is coming of age, Barthley & Coleman are the start of setting the new standard of what it means to be a Rattler. HC FAMU writers, Robyn and I, sat down with Barthley & Coleman for an hour or two and got to know the new leaders of their class.

TC = Tia Coleman
CB = Chekier Barthley
IM = Itopia Mills
RM = Robyn Mowatt

Name: Chekier Barthley
Major: Psychology
Hometown: New York, New York (Queens)
Classification: Freshmen
Campus Involvement: Freshman Class President

Name: Tia Coleman
Major: Political Science/Pre-Law
Hometown: Jacksonville, Fla.
Classification: Freshman
Twitter Handle: @fancycash
Campus involvement: Freshman Class Vice President

IM: What made you decide to run for a student leader position your freshman year?
TC: The class of 2016 came to FAMU under a dark cloud and I felt like my running mate and I would be a glimpse of sunshine to the campus.

IM: What is your favorite thing about Chekier?
TC: My favorite thing about Chekier would have to be working with him because he stays on top of things. And when I’m being lazy I just make him do it [laughs].

RM: What is your favorite thing about Tia?
CB: She doesn’t sugar coat anything. If I’m slipping up she’ll let me know. I definitely need someone like that to keep me level-headed.

IM: Fill in the blank: You’d be surprised to know that Chekier:
TC: Is a party animal [Chekier laughs].

RM: Fill in the blank: You’d be surprised to know that Tia:
CB: She parties too.

IM: What brought you two together as running mates?
CB: Our personalities… opposites attract. We met through a chat line one lonely night [laughs]…

IM: Haha, really?
TC: No [laughs]! We met through mutual friends.

IM: How does it feel to know that you represent the freshman class?
TC: It feels great. But, with any position with spotlight comes with different views from your peers.
CB: It feels great; it’s definitely a big opportunity. It’s a big networking tool. It’s definitely a good way to meet people and learn about the different people in your class.

IM: I never got the chance to read your platform points but, what’s the most important platform point to you personally?
TC: The “Meet & Greets” with upperclassmen and organizations. It’s a dire need for the freshman. Though we can’t join anything right now it gives us the chance to reach out to them for support when the time comes.
CB: A “Green University.” It will allow us to team up with the Green Coalition to get a recycling presence on campus. We’re an agricultural based campus so it only makes sense to get students involved in recycling and make it accessible to students.

RM: In what ways do you expect this leadership position to help you?
TC: It’ll enhance my professionalism skills.
CB: So far it has definitely brought me out of my box. I wasn’t an extroverted person, now I’m more personable. It’s helped me become more social able.

IM: Describe what FAMU means to you in five words, or less.
TC: Famuly, ambition, opportunity, and mistakes.
CB: Giving me opportunities to grow.

IM: What is the funniest moment from campaign week?
CB: We were actually sleeping when we found out who won, when they announced the results.

IM: What does holding this leadership position mean to you?
TC: It means growth. I’m one step closer…

IM: One step closer to what?
TC: Um, just one step closer. Put “…” at the end of my response [laughs].

RM: What about you Chekier?
CB: It’s a stepping stone to do greater things on this campus.

IM: You have about four more years here on the Hill. What is one lesson you hope to walk away with when you graduate?
CB: Time management and finances.
TC: Lessons in time management and punctuality. You see I was 20 minutes late here. I need to work on
that [laughs].

RM: What do you do for fun?
CB: I like to hang out with friends, I like to party.
TC: I like to shop. And work because I have a really cool job.

IM: Where do you work?
TC: The Rattler’s Edge.

IM: What’s your favorite food?
TC: Soul food.
CB: Pizza.

IM: That’s definitely a New York thing, I love pizza too!

RM: What’s your favorite color?
TC: Purple.
CB: Navy blue.

IM: If you could describe your personality in one or two words, what would they be?
TC: Outgoing.
CB: Friendly.

RM: Who is your favorite African American figure?
CB: Barack Obama, he’s showed everybody what was thought to be impossible.
TC: Michelle Obama.

IM: What is your favorite inspirational quote?
TC: “Aspire to inspire.”
CB: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.” That’s by Aristotle.

RM: Explain your view on life, whether it is an attitude of optimism, realism, etc.
TC: Realist.
CB: I’m an optimist because I try to think of the best case scenario first and just go from there.

RM: What activities, programs and initiatives were you involved with in high school?
TC: Future Business Leaders of America, I ran track, and I directed, hosted, and choreographed fashion shows at school.
CB: I was the Commanding Officer of our ROTC program; I was also in Future Business Leaders of America and a member of the wrestling team.

RM: Despite the negativity stemming from the Marching 100 and Robert Champion’s death, what pushed you to attend Florida A&M University?
TC: I felt like FAMU was just a college of opportunities. From the first tour, I knew it was my time to come here and shine. And that’s what I did.
CB: I came for Spring Preview and I felt a close knit atmosphere and the “FAMULY” atmosphere that everyone spoke of.

RM: Please explain your feelings on the mandatory Anti-Hazing Workshops, which Florida A&M University students must attend.
TC: They’re helpful. But, most of feel like we’re being punished for something we didn’t do. I feel like it’s a good thing because some of us can’t wake up to go to class after coming from the club so how would we be able to balance clubs or organizations? It’s a mixture of a good and a bad thing.
CB: If they are taken a correct way you can learn a lot. They’re mandatory because of the media. The school realizes something has to be put on the table and the school recognizes the need for it.

IM: What’s one thing you’d like to say to your fellow classmates?
CB: Be prepared for the best year ever!
TC: We are FAMU, where lessons are lived and learned!

IM: What was your number one reason behind running for the Class of 2016 President with your running mate?
CB: I picked student leadership because I believed it could make the biggest impact on my class.

RM: For your respectable Class of 2016, what words of advice would you give for students feeling unsure about their choice of coming to Florida A&M University?
CB: Ask yourself where you want to be in four years, I feel as though FAMU is the best place to learn for anybody.

IM: Who is someone or something that motivates you to become successful?
TC: I’ll give credit to two people: my mother, Lynette Clinch, and my mentor, Vincent Evans. They keep me grounded.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.