Life Beyond “The Hill”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

Each semester, students face the inevitable uncertainty that plagues so many graduating seniors. The terror that could very well determine the foundation of the successful, glamorous post-graduate life that so many students dream of in their undergraduate years. That terror is better known as the present job market. Hiring rates for college graduates has been vastly affected by the nation’s diminishing economy for years now.

Even with a college degree, many students are failing to even find entry-level careers in their degree fields. Many college graduates go on to busting tables and bartending and struggle in today’s job markets. In a Nov. 2011 report by the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, which included the employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment, of the 47,008 included in the civilian labor force with a bachelor’s degree and higher 2,058 were unemployed, in October alone. These 2,058 individuals make up 4.4 percent of the unemployment rate.

Although the job market is still looking bleak, many FAMUans are preparing themselves to not have their first out-of-college “dream” job. Rattler alums have been passing down advice to their peers encouraging them to be ready for life after the hill and the changing world. “Always have a back-up plan in case your first plan doesn’t work out,” advises Courtney Ralls, a spring 2010 Public Relations graduate from Pensacola, Fla. But, for many students, that back-up plan is attending graduate school in order to get to that “dream” job. In a May 2011 article in The New York Times, writer Catherine Rampell states, “more than 60 percent of those who graduated in the last five years say they will need more formal education to be successful.”

“Each person will take different paths after graduation; some will stay in Tallahassee; others will wrestle with reality and working. But, I know trying to escape reality, paying back student loans, and working a 9-5; I am enjoying the route. It was free, and gives a great paycheck,” says Bobby Boone, a spring 2011 Architecture graduate, who is now pursuing a Master’s in Community Planning at the University of Cincinnati.

“My life now consists of attending a hospital based program; it is unlike most colleges, universities and trade schools where the experience I get is more than hands on. I attend a Diagnostic School for Medical Imaging for Sonography. I could not have been more happy about this decision”, said Tarajee Muhammad, a spring 2010 Biology graduate.

Life beyond the hill DOES exist. Though students, including Boone, claim to “yearn for the Hill,” you may have some initial adjusting. It is possible. “I believe the preparedness of Florida A&M University, my faith, the strength I embody, and the everlasting encouragement and motivation from my family aids in enduring all that I’ve encountered and any unforeseen trials in my future make my life after The Hill all worthwhile,” claims Muhammad. Regardless whether straight into the work force or the graduate school path, Rattlers are finding their path into the world from the nest. “Take all that FAMU has given you and conquer the world,” says Boone. 

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.