This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FAMU chapter.

125 years ago on October 3rd 1887, Florida A&M University was the State Normal College for Colored Students. It began classes with just 2 instructors and 15 students; it was the only co-ed institution in the state of Florida at the time. In 1953 the school went from College to University status and began a curriculum and colleges reconstruction. Between 1953 and 1968 the Schools of Pharmacy, Law, Graduate Studies, and Nursing were created. The FAMU Hospital was created and became operational in 1956; this was the only hospital for blacks within 150 miles of Tallahassee. FAMU then become the first black institution to become a member of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. During the 1950s and 1960s FAMU students were on the forefront of Civil Rights in Tallahassee. Students began a boycott of the buses in Tallahassee that lead to integrated city public transportation. Student Patricia Stephens Due began a sit in at a Tallahassee restaurant that resulted in a jail in which garnered letters and support from the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

During the administration of Dr. Frederick Humphries, FAMU became a nationally acclaimed institution of higher learning. By 1999 the enrollment had reached 12,000 students. In 1992, 1995, and 1997 FAMU enrolled more National Achievement finalists than Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. In 1999, Black Issues in Higher Education cited FAMU for awarding more baccalaureate degrees to African-Americans than any other institution in this nation. In 1997 TIME Magazine-Princeton Review selected FAMU as the 1997-1998 College of the Year. Today, Florida A&M remains the only HBCU in the 11 members State University System of Florida.

FAMU prides itself in its rich history and culture. As we celebrate our 125th anniversary we can’t help but remember where we came from. FAMU began its celebration with an event on the evening of October 2nd, which concluded with fireworks at midnight on October 3rd. The celebration was continued with Founders Day Convocation featuring Dr. Frederick Humphries as the keynote speaker. Humphries speech was filled with the history and accomplishments of FAMU. Celebrating the 125th anniversary of Florida A&M University is a historical and memorable time for both alumni and current students at the University. With alumni such as multi million-dollar filmmaker Will Packer, award-winning actress Tykeyah Crystal Keymah, Olympic medalist Bob Hayes, and the first black Disney Princess Anika Noni Rose, FAMU has fulfilled its mission of excellence for 125 years strong. Through trials and tribulations FAMU has continued to thrive and produce top black pharmacists, teachers, actors, athletes, engineers, and more. The legacy of FAMU began 125 years ago and today it continues to live through successful Rattlers all over the world.

Itopia is a senior from New Rochelle, New York studying Magazine Production. She is the founder of Florida A&M's campus branch. After graduation, Itopia plans to move back to NY and go to fashion school! In her spare time Itopia enjoys tweeting, browing on Tumblr, eating and listening to music.